Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst ... 2

Thread: No Imputed Righteousness In Augustine

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Re: No Imputed Righteousness In Augustine

I agree Bob.

I'm sure someone can pull isolated statements out of writings that date prior to Calvin that resemble an affirmation of Imputed Righteousness, but I would be willing to bet that the author would be in error on any number of issues we have discussed that we would all agree are closely tied to the clearly revealed gospel of grace as revealed to Paul and then relayed to us; Guss would be a prime example of this.

As for Calvin the same applies. I can't recall Calvin clearly contradicting himself on Imputed Righteousness but he definitely placed an emphasis on paedobaptism that crosses the line into a denial of grace.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mickey View Post
    I cannot recollect reading many (if any) clear affirmations of Imputed Righteousness till Calvin without the authors contradicting themselves in some form or fashion with their love for religious observances that cross the line into idolatry.

If I remember correctly even Calvin has some questionable commentary (that requires more investigation than I am willing to commit to) where it appears he didn't "ditch all of the garbage".
    Mickey you are quite correct. They did not "ditch all of the garbage". It was not given to them to complete that task. We must understand at that time in history, there were only two major representations of visible Christianity although they were false representations. Eastern Orthadoxy and the West, the Roman Catholic church. Both institutions were absolutely void of the Gospel. They were steeped in mystical and hellenistic paganism as carried on to them from the "heretical church fathers" circa 2nd, 3rd, and 4th centuries.

As the Western church grew to be a political power via Constantine, the popes of the West crowned the teachings of Augustine and based their identity on Augustine. The Western world as a result of Augustine's neo-platonic pagan christianity sunk to the dark ages. Later another well know heretic named Thomas Aquinas (circa 13th cent.) carried the torch on for Augustine, but went even further into the depths and bowels of Satanic Christianity. The world entered a more darker and superstious time called the Medieval Days. Hence, as result of Thomism ecclesiology, for six centuries this evil false christian church ruled the nations by force and inquisition.

It was now time for God to bring back the Gospel of Christ to the world. Luther was given only a glimpse of the truth. However being an Augustinian monk, the little truth that God gave him was still confounded by the evil grip of Augustinian influence that so pervaded his very mind.

God then raised up Calvin, also an Augustinian monk. Calvin was given greater light than Luther. Calvin understood double predestination (although not cleary as others), a greater understanding of election, and reprobation. And the well renouned 5 points. However still lingering in Calvin's mind was the evil grip of Augustinian influence. His soteriology when read in the institutes is contradictory to say the least, and his Ecclesiology like Luthers was essentialy Papist but not as extreme.

We must thank God for those who stood against this evil imposter called Romanism. Even a little light is enough to break away.

But the reformation has not stopped. God's true theologians today have been given a greater and more deeper understanding into Paul and his gospel.

God's Sovereignty is being restored once again by his ministers. While false prophets and false teachers are trying to destroy it.

Nicholas
    My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me: And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand..........John 10:27,28

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Nicholas View Post
    God's Sovereignty is being restored once again by his ministers. While false prophets and false teachers are trying to destroy it.
    Amen.

Let the good times roll!
    Isaiah 45:7, (KJV), I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Highlyfavored View Post
    Amen.

Let the good times roll!
    Get in the groove and let the good times roll
    We're gonna stay here till we soothe our soul
    If it takes all night long
    Come on and let the good times roll
    But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control. Against such things there is no law.
    GALATIANS 5:22

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lionovjudah View Post
    Get in the groove and let the good times roll
    Come on and let the good times roll
    The Cars: Let the Good Times Roll

let the stories be told
    let them say what they want
    let the photos be BOLD
    let them show what they want

let them leave you up in the air
    let them brush your rock and roll hair
    let the good times roll
    let the good times roll-oll
    won't you let the good times roll
    Isaiah 45:7, (KJV), I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst ... 2