Pristine Grace

Thread: Which version of the Bible do you reccomend?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Which version of the Bible do you reccomend?

Firstly, I very much hope that this is in the right place. Secondly, I very much hope that this subject has not been touched upon as of late. I searched through about 10 pages of threads in General Discussion and found no such topic. However if there is one already existing, then I offer my most sincere apologies.

As a new Christian, the first thing on my agenda is to read through the Bible. I've asked several people which version they think I should choose, (from what I hear they are all very different, and I am assuming this to be true,) and I've probably received a different answer from each.

One told me I should try the NIV of the Bible, because it is easy to understand, but another told me I should avoid it because the translators were not religious.

Another told me the New King James version would be best. No one has said anything to the contrary about this version yet, but I'd like to know what you think?

Thanks,

Javert

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    61 Posts

Re: Which version of the Bible do you reccomend?

Hi Hannah,

Here is my position on translations:
    http://www.predestinarian.net/bible....1&version=nasb

Thanks for using the Predestinarian Network Bible software. This software was written by Brandan Kraft from scratch and has been in development since 1998.

This software has been designed for the purpose of obtaining quotes to be pasted into documents, e-mails, or message boards. Much of the formatting has been stripped for the purpose of copying and pasting easily(ie. footnotes, etc..)

The default translation is the New American Standard Bible (NASB). It is probably the best translation that involves the use of the minority texts. There are several translations included in the software for the purpose of study and comparison.

John Gill's Commentary has also been included, and it provides usually superb opinion and comments (although not always correct) about each verse of the entire Bible.

The inclusion of a translation in this application is not an endorsement of that translation. I believe that comparison between translations is beneficial for teaching, including teaching by antithesis. I know very little about the \"World English Bible\" but included it because I thought a translation in \"dynamic equivalence\" comparable to the \"New International Version\" was appropriate for study. The studious reader will find that sometimes these translations will contradict each other, and that should spur each person on to discover the truth by applying a GOSPEL hermeneutic to the text.

- Brandan
    This is my signature.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thank you very much, Brandan- I appreciate this so much! I will certainly take a look.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I like the NASB as well but I would recommend getting familiar with the history of the scriptures and what books have been disputed and why, then form your own conclusions based on what you learn. There are many who turn a blind eye to the historically disputed books (that are contained in all modern versions) and as a result form a web of damnable heresies.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The AV. My Pastor uses it, my wife and kids use it. I use to buy all kinds of translations and still have most of them but the AV is the one I read and study from.

TBS Statement

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Javert View Post
    Firstly, I very much hope that this is in the right place. Secondly, I very much hope that this subject has not been touched upon as of late. I searched through about 10 pages of threads in General Discussion and found no such topic. However if there is one already existing, then I offer my most sincere apologies.

As a new Christian, the first thing on my agenda is to read through the Bible. I've asked several people which version they think I should choose, (from what I hear they are all very different, and I am assuming this to be true,) and I've probably received a different answer from each.

One told me I should try the NIV of the Bible, because it is easy to understand, but another told me I should avoid it because the translators were not religious.

Another told me the New King James version would be best. No one has said anything to the contrary about this version yet, but I'd like to know what you think?

Thanks,

Javert
    Dear Hannah,.......I have a great idea! Read through ALL the versions.

I personally like "Youngs Literal translation" I also like the King James for it's Old English and strong forceful language.

I also possess the Douay-Challoner and the Douay-Rheims versions. Except for the Apocraphal books, they are not bad translations

The Apochraphal books (though not inspired) give extra historical data about Israel. The writers however are a bit biased in my opinion and they make for good reading from a secular viewpoint.

I do not care for the NIV for it tends to water down concepts and doctrines.

Now I know the "1611 King James Only" crowd is ready to burn me at the stake for my statements.

Have fun and be blessed!

Nicholas
    My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me: And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand..........John 10:27,28

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't believe we'll find KJVO on this forum.

Have you seen the updated Geneva 1599? I've had a look at the pdf copy of Romans online and I have to say, it reads very well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Here's an excellent translation which I highly recommend;

http://klv.mrklingon.org/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts

I'll have to check that one out, Scott!

The ancient Greek texts (as compiled from the Alexandrian, Sinaiticus, and Vaticanus sources as a composite picture) is of course the best version of the New Testament. So an interlinear rather than a straight translation is better; at least for someone unfamiliar with the Greek language it yields a better idea of what the original consists of. The Old Testament is more complex and we could discuss those details.

As far as translations are concerned, check as many as you can! Especially when there is suspicion of bias in the translation of one. There is no best translation period, since every one of them will potentially be strong on certain passages and weaker on others. But the core message of God's revelation is present in all (except the radical 'paraphrases').

--Bob
    I got four things to live by: don't say nothin' that will hurt anybody; don't give advice--no one will take it anyway; don't complain; don't explain. Walter Scott

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Mr. Higby, why do you believe the Alexandrian, Sinaiticus, and Vaticanus are the best? ( in 500 words or less )

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts

No one text is the 'best'; that is why we need a composite of the different ones that have been discovered--it is even good to consult the 'lesser' texts (papyrus) if differences have been documented.

On the various texts:

http://www.religionfacts.com/christi...anuscripts.htm

Thanks, --Bob
    I got four things to live by: don't say nothin' that will hurt anybody; don't give advice--no one will take it anyway; don't complain; don't explain. Walter Scott