Pristine Grace

Thread: William Huntington

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

William Huntington

The last few years I've been reading Huntington's works online and have enjoyed them but recently I decided to do a search for his name in the Complete Works of Andrew Fuller. I found Fuller mentioning that Huntington had a bad "spirit and conduct." Does anyone know what Fuller is referring to? He writes, he is "conceited, overbearing, vindictive, proud, inaccessible, covetous, and, we may add, blasphemous," and then alludes that he is "not allowed by the Scriptures to understand or believe the truth." Has any of this been reported before? I don't see it in his writings. Fuller goes on, "there was a vein of false doctrine running through it, which tainted it to the bone and marrow, buoyed up himself and his admirers in false hope, and rendered his ministry unworthy of the character of 'evangelical.'"

It's my impression that Fuller has nothing to say about the doctrine of Huntington, he seems to get, almost, emotional?

Anyways, I found Huntington's works for sale in print and will probably pick them up.

Peace,

jm

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Re: William Huntington

Isn't this how most people talk about we "hyper-calvinists"? I've enjoyed Huntington myself.
    Col 2:9, (NASB), For in Him all the fullness of Deity dwells in bodily form

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

One of Huntington's descendants was on this board briefly. He later condemned us over the issue of James I think. He also called us hyper-calvinists I believe, bwahahahaha.
    This is my signature.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

How is what Huntington taught different from what Luther taught?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ~JM~ View Post
    It's my impression that Fuller has nothing to say about the doctrine of Huntington, he seems to get, almost, emotional?
    "jm"....It is typical of those in any arena of discussion or debate to attack the character of an individual rather than the argument/premise. What does that say about Fuller?

Fuller should address his theological differences with Huntington.

Nicholas
    My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me: And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand..........John 10:27,28

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Nicholas View Post
    "jm"....It is typical of those in any arena of discussion or debate to attack the character of an individual rather than the argument/premise. What does that say about Fuller?

Fuller should address his theological differences with Huntington.

Nicholas
    That's exactly what I thought, he should've looked in the mirror.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Did Huntington believe he was a prophet?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

George Ellis has a book out on Huntington that was good. I can't comment as I don't remember much about what I read!
    This is my signature.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've been meaning to pick up a few titles by Dr. Ella.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    66 Posts

We can all be perfectly assured of this fact: every 'evangelical' critic of high-grace supralapsarianism will always resort to real or perceived 'character' issues of their opponents as the basis of attack. There are no issues of biblical interpretation that can be successfully engaged to convince those who logically understand why absolute predestination is the only option to legitimately explain God's purposes in the created universe.

A recent example: Ian Murray in his book "Spurgeon vs. Hyper Calvinism". He viciously attacks Huntington and others. Here was the recommendation by Ernest Reisinger before he died: http://www.founders.org/journal/fj24/article1.html.

None of these critics can point to a 'hyper-Calvinist' confession, 'church' (in terms of a specific congregation in a specific place), or theologian that is the AUTHORITY on what constitutes this straw man called hyper-Calvinism. They have been opposing an imagined enemy for generations: one that has been created in their minds because of their own rebellion against taking the sovereignty of God 'too far.' All these men can do is look for snippets of the system they oppose in some supralapsarians of past and present (such as Gordon Clark).

We all know that Arminianism and Methodism sport a legion of definite churches, teachers, and confessional systems that consistently hold to free will doctrine. But these critics have NOTHING of the sort with their 'opposite' straw man called hyper-Calvinism; they hunt for such a thing like the U.S. hunted for weapons of mass destruction in Iraq! When Murray speaks of hyper-Calvinism rearing its ugly head every time Calvinism starts to advance, he is opposing logical ideas that he damns and loathes because he knows that persons with a mind will consider them--though he can't provide a current denominational list!
    I got four things to live by: don't say nothin' that will hurt anybody; don't give advice--no one will take it anyway; don't complain; don't explain. Walter Scott

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Would it make sense to attack the character of a person if they deny, what they believe, is an eternal moral Law?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

Would it make sense to attack the character of a person if they deny, what they believe, is an eternal moral Law?
    JM, could you please elaborate a little further regarding this?

Thanks,
    Greg
    Isaiah 45:7, (KJV), I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have to read more of Huntington to make a valid comment, but if someone proclaims, "I'm totally free from the Law as a rule of life," you might point them back to the Law to show them their sin since you believe the Law is the rule of life.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Robert R. Higby View Post
    We can all be perfectly assured of this fact: every 'evangelical' critic of high-grace supralapsarianism will always resort to real or perceived 'character' issues of their opponents as the basis of attack. There are no issues of biblical interpretation that can be successfully engaged to convince those who logically understand why absolute predestination is the only option to legitimately explain God's purposes in the created universe.

A recent example: Ian Murray in his book \"Spurgeon vs. Hyper Calvinism\". He viciously attacks Huntington and others. Here was the recommendation by Ernest Reisinger before he died: http://www.founders.org/journal/fj24/article1.html.

None of these critics can point to a 'hyper-Calvinist' confession, 'church' (in terms of a specific congregation in a specific place), or theologian that is the AUTHORITY on what constitutes this straw man called hyper-Calvinism. They have been opposing an imagined enemy for generations: one that has been created in their minds because of their own rebellion against taking the sovereignty of God 'too far.' All these men can do is look for snippets of the system they oppose in some supralapsarians of past and present (such as Gordon Clark).

We all know that Arminianism and Methodism sport a legion of definite churches, teachers, and confessional systems that consistently hold to free will doctrine. But these critics have NOTHING of the sort with their 'opposite' straw man called hyper-Calvinism; they hunt for such a thing like the U.S. hunted for weapons of mass destruction in Iraq! When Murray speaks of hyper-Calvinism rearing its ugly head every time Calvinism starts to advance, he is opposing logical ideas that he damns and loathes because he knows that persons with a mind will consider them--though he can't provide a current denominational list!
    I fully agree Robert!

After reading the link you provided, Spurgeon like most others retreat to paradox or mystery. Their answer is "we just don't know" ? By saying that, they have seemingly robbed God of all perogatives in ruling ALL the events and souls in His creation.

Man by nature will not fully submit and acknowledge a Sovereign God. He (man) will invent all sort of theoligical reasons to get "God off the hook" so to speak. However while they labour at getting God off the hook, they themselves have been hooked and enslaved to their own foolish notion of free will.

Nicholas
    My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me: And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand..........John 10:27,28

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Gill View Post
    George Ellis has a book out on Huntington that was good. I can't comment as I don't remember much about what I read!
    I have read it also & also others by Ellis: about Fuller & Gill & Hervey & "Common Grace". Ellis is right on.

I highly recommend "Law & Gospel in The Theology of Andrew Fuller". He tells the truth about the "hypers" of his day ( if either Gill or Huntington is a "hyper" I'll gladly wear the label as a badge): also, & mainly, about the false theology of Fuller.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've been meaning to pick up a few titles by Dr. Ella.
    Do it. Do not wait.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Robert R. Higby View Post

A recent example: Ian Murray in his book "Spurgeon vs. Hyper Calvinism".
    Geo. Ella exposes Murray.
    All these men can do is look for snippets of the system they oppose in some supralapsarians of past and present (such as Gordon Clark).
    Banner of Truth has in the past but no longer publishes Pink
    We all know that Arminianism and Methodism sport a legion of definite churches, teachers, and confessional systems that consistently hold to free will doctrine.
    See "Why I am not a Calvinist". I heard the author(s) interviewed on Pilgrim Radio a couple of years ago. It was a pit bull attack. But they also interviewed the author of "Why I am a Calvinist".

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

http://www.truegospel.net/Huntington...me10/10004.htm

The drink of the thirsty soul is the efficacy of the Saviour's blood, or the atonement of Christ received and enjoyed under the operations of the Spirit of grace. The water of life is the quickening energy of the Spirit; and the river of God's pleasure is the love of God in Christ Jesus, which is felt under the influence of God's Spirit, and which fills the soul with joy, peace, and divine consolation, in believing. But as pardon and eternal peace with God, through the blood of the Lamb, are denied by this vile person; and as the everlasting inhabitation of the Spirit is opposed and denied also; and the doctrine of the eternal love of God reprobated; and the gift of eternal life exploded, by asserting that all these things may be forfeited and lost–the dreadful consequences attending such errors must be, that divine refreshment, the pure stream of life and peace, will be rarely found; the Spirit is grieved, and ceases to operate. Such persons, speaking evil of the truths and ways of God; hypocrites increasing; the world applauding the candour and lenity of vile men; weak souls halting between two opinions, or between right and wrong; bastard Calvinists, who formerly favoured such, but recanted, and bore a testimony against them, returning like the dog, and licking up the old vomit; losing their legal zeal and all their eye-sight; appearing afresh to favour Cain's old cause, and beginning to bring forth their strong reasons against the King of Jacob, and going gradually over to the children of the flesh. And, on the other hand, those who bear their steadfast testimony against their lying words; being reproached with rancour, spleen, a bad spirit, and the want of charity. Times will get worse and worse; the light will gradually withdraw; the sun will go down over the prophets; the shadows of the evening will stretch out; grievous wolves will creep forth, who will not spare the stock; the truths of everlasting gospel, by the villainy of these men, will be brought into contempt; and the inhabitants of two cities may, and will, ere long, go to a third city, to drink water, and not find a pure spring when they come there. All that these vile persons aim at, is to conceal the bread of life, and to obscure the pure light of the gospel (which is a perfect glass, and in which we discover what they are), and so to bring on a "famine, not of bread, nor of water, but of hearing the word of the Lord." When God is insulted, the Saviour opposed, and the Spirit grieved, the life and power of the gospel will be insensibly withdrawn, and a minister of the Spirit scarcely found. However, "when the poor and needy seek water, and there is none, and their tongue faileth for thirst; I," saith the Lord, "will hear them; and I, the God of Israel, will not forsake them."