Pristine Grace

Thread: How Much Danger Should a Believer Voluntarily Risk?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts

How Much Danger Should a Believer Voluntarily Risk?

Here is a recent news story from my 'front yard'. Does anyone who posts here engage in such activities? Just curious.

http://www.sdnn.com/sandiego/2009-09...-lake-elsinore

Other skydivers died at the field in 2000 and 2008.

The descending skydivers are visible every day from my home and today is no exception!

How much danger should a believer risk voluntarily?

--Bob
    I got four things to live by: don't say nothin' that will hurt anybody; don't give advice--no one will take it anyway; don't complain; don't explain. Walter Scott

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Re: How Much Danger Should a Believer Voluntarily Risk?

Quote Originally Posted by Robert R. Higby View Post

How much danger should a believer risk voluntarily?

--Bob
    Robert, I think we put ourselves at a higher risk of death just backing our vehicle out of the driveway, especially with teenagers(and adults) using their cell phones (talking, texting, etc...) while their driving. Just a quick thought, I can only type so fast while I'm driving.
    Col 2:9, (NASB), For in Him all the fullness of Deity dwells in bodily form

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts

Trav: I think we put ourselves at a higher risk of death just backing our vehicle out of the driveway, especially with teenagers(and adults) using their cell phones (talking, texting, etc...) while their driving. Just a quick thought, I can only type so fast while I'm driving.

Great observations! What I'm trying to sort out here is how we live out the implications of the gospel we believe. I cannot help but drive, however, I do not have to drive overly-aggressive and text/talk on phone while driving. I have just known too many people personally who died because of taking foolish chances. I am reminded of them every time I take a 'debatable', even seemingly 'innocent' chance on the road (such as a pass to 'save 30 seconds') that I wonder about afterward.

I am not sure of the dangers of skydiving as compared to other things. It is just creepy for me to think about people falling to their death on a field right down the mountain from my house! When I started watching a couple of months ago I wondered how long it would be before this happened. I can see some of the acrobatics they try in their pursuit of a thrill.
    I got four things to live by: don't say nothin' that will hurt anybody; don't give advice--no one will take it anyway; don't complain; don't explain. Walter Scott

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

This is a matter of personal liberty in Christ.
    This is my signature.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Whatever God has ordained to happen to me will come to pass, but I do not take unnecessary risks. I would not want to end up dead or in a wheel chair for doing something foolish. If it were something that needed to be done, like defending oneself or someone else or running into a burning building to save someone or doing one's job, that would be a different story.

I also would agree with Brandan on this.

If your willing to jump out of a perfectly working airplane or tie a bungee cord to your ankles, then more power to ya. I will be more than willing to watch you go splat.
    Rom 8:18-21, (NASB), For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory that is to be revealed to us. For the anxious longing of the creation waits eagerly for the revealing of the sons of God. For the creation was subjected to futility, not willingly, but because of Him who subjected it, in hope that the creation itself also will be set free from its slavery to corruption into the freedom of the glory of the children of God.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I spent last year living a mile from an airport that specializes in teaching people to sky dive. It was fun to watch them come in as we happened to be driving by on the weekends. My son wants to learn and wants me to learn with him as a father-son thing (he's 14). Fortunately, the Lord saw fit for me to injure my back about 20 years ago--which gives me an out.....(I don't have to ride in coasters at Six Flags either)...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts

Yes! I get out of the worst rides at Six Flags because I'm a true vertigo sufferer. However, since I finally found the right medication for it almost 3 years ago (after about 25 yrs. of messing around with various failed solutions) I no longer have that excuse!

I don't think I have a problem with skydiving itself; I have to wonder if some of the deaths are related to risky actions WHILE skydiving. Statistically the facts might prove that it is no more dangerous than a whole lot of other things we do. But my real question is whether part of our stewardship under the gospel is to be aware of the risks of certain behaviors and shun them. I follow the same policy as John and strive to be conscious of unnecessary risks and stay away. I think this is the way a believer should live.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yes! I get out of the worst rides at Six Flags because I'm a true vertigo sufferer. However, since I finally found the right medication for it almost 3 years ago (after about 25 yrs. of messing around with various failed solutions) I no longer have that excuse!

I don't think I have a problem with skydiving itself; I have to wonder if some of the deaths are related to risky actions WHILE skydiving. Statistically the facts might prove that it is no more dangerous than a whole lot of other things we do. But my real question is whether part of our stewardship under the gospel is to be aware of the risks of certain behaviors and shun them. I follow the same policy as John and strive to be conscious of unnecessary risks and stay away. I think this is the way a believer should live.
    I agree with your mindset here. I think of the responsibilities the Lord has given to each of us with our families, the saints that are in our lives, our work, etc. and to take a risk that might jeopardize our very lives is foolish in my eyes. I remember over the years of caring for my husband and keeping this very thought in mind, knowing that he needed my care and praying that the Lord would be merciful to keep me from danger, etc. It would have seemed like I was tempting the Lord to pray that prayer and then go out and do something risky just for kicks. That's how I see it anyway although Brandan is right, it is strictly a liberty issue.

BTW, I would be very interested in what medication you found that would work that well. I'm a true vertigo sufferer myself and it sometimes seemingly takes charge of my life.

Eileen~
    "To those who have no works-phobia, I will state that you are not trembling before the gospel" Robert R. Higby

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

In my blog I have an article that says "don't say I don't know what to do", because the truth is that "you don't do what you know".

I know that attempting to stop a speeding train with my bear hands is not a good idea, as much as I know that, spending more than I earn is also not a good idea.

There are things that, although we're free to do them, they're foolish in that they're beyond our physical capacity and mental abilities. The Bible, especially in the Old Testament, delineates a clear distinction between "faith" and "foolishness". There were battles that the Hebrews engaged in that God simply let them fend for themselves because they were out of foolishness and not in faith.

The three "f's" of wisdom are divided by a VERY thin line: FEAR, FAITH, FOOLISHNESS. There are things that we should "fear", others not; there are things that we should KNOW that we are guaranteed by FAITH, and there are some adventures in our lives that are pure FOOLISHNESS. We should be discerning of those lines and and will be fine. Jesus' liberty is wonderful and we should enjoy it and live certain that it is there for us to claim it when doing the things we do. But we also should be good stewards of what God has given us to administrate, such as our body, our possessions, our family, etc.

I can travel to a poor country, ravaged by diseases without taking vaccination, even in a mission to proclaim the Gospel, believing that Jesus promised "...if they touch anything harmful they won't be harmed" (paraphrased), or "...thou shall fear no pestilence...", but we can also exercise wisdom and just take the "stupid" vaccination avoiding RISK, which is the theme of this thread. In the end, the VACCINATION was put together because of God's design anyway; whatever it is, it is ALWAYS God's provision for healing.

In all, to me, taking unnecessary risks on things we should FEAR, is not FAITH, but FOOLISHNESS.

That's my take on the issue...

Milt
    Grace Ambassador
    A pitiful servant of God; a pitbull guardian of the message of Grace

My pledge to other members:
    A soft answer turneth away wrath: but grievous words stir up anger. Prov 15:1
    A word fitly spoken is like apples of gold in pictures of silver - Prov. 25:11

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I can only speak for myself and not others on this issue. It is surely a liberty issue.

Skydiving for pleasure is in the catagory of "thrill seeking" At my age, most of these thrill seeking pleasures are but gone.

I used to love riding the roller coasters. But now I have no desire.

For the true believer in Christ who wants to engage in skydiving, mountain climbing, deep sea underwater expeditions, and so forth, it is a matter of conscience. However some stipulations must be addressed.

What is the motive?
    Are you properly trained and qualified to minimize risk?
    Is your family for or against these actions on your part?

You see, it is not only one's self satisfaction at stake here. What are the implications to your family if you should become mamed for life, or die. Will they suffer hardship or loss?

For me this is an easy issue. My life in Christ is for the benefit of others.
    But others may think these actions may benefit others. So again it is squarely a personal conscience issue.

Nicholas
    My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me: And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand..........John 10:27,28

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

Good points Nicholas. I have a motorcycle's license, but you won't see me hop on one again unless I consider it necessary - it's just too risky.
    This is my signature.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

If it's done in thanksgiving, and to the glory of God - why not?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Gill View Post
    Good points Nicholas. I have a motorcycle's license, but you won't see me hop on one again unless I consider it necessary - it's just too risky.
    Brandan, just wait until you are in a "middle age" crisis... It is infallible: all men at that time want to ride against the wind towards where the west commences...

Milt
    Grace Ambassador
    A pitiful servant of God; a pitbull guardian of the message of Grace

My pledge to other members:
    A soft answer turneth away wrath: but grievous words stir up anger. Prov 15:1
    A word fitly spoken is like apples of gold in pictures of silver - Prov. 25:11

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

I got all of that out of my system by the time I was 23.
    This is my signature.