Pristine Grace
Page 1 of 3 1 ... LastLast

Thread: A knowable God?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

A knowable God?

The question that I ask is this: Can we possibly know everything about God just from the bible?

The obvious answer is that no, we cannot possibly hope to comprehend a being that could create the universe and all that is in it.

However, the ramifications of this answer are just as obvious. If we cannot know all of God, how can we say that God could not have revealed himself in many ways to different cultures throughout history? How can we say that the word "truth" does not have multiple meanings to such a being?

Look forward to your discussion.

JK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Ooohh..I think I'll just sit back an ENJOY this one!!

God Bless 5Solas!

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    how can we say that God could not have revealed himself in many ways to different cultures throughout history?
    --------
    Yes not everything abt God is contained in the Bible. Even if it were, our finite human minds wld not be able to understand everything.

BUT my immediate answer wld be that God has given us more than enough info (in the Bible) and power (Holy Spirit/faith) to know who He is, where He can be found and that He is the only way.

God bless

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    how can we say that God could not have revealed himself in many ways to different cultures throughout history?

If we believe that God's revelation to us is the Bible then he himself said that Jesus is the only way.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    We can not know everything about God. As was mentioned previously, our finite minds cannot FULLY comprehend and understand an INFINITE God.

However, He has given us plenty of information to get us started. He has given us more than enough to keep us occupied for a lifetime.

As we grow in our faith and in our walk with Him, we learn and experience more and more. And when we join Him in eternity, we will fully know Him. Like any relationship, it is a process. The more we spend time with Him, the more we interact and relate to Him, the more we know.
    2 Timothy 4:2-4
    <(((><
    1 Peter 3:15

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    There is more than enough BAD information that has kept people occupied for GENERATIONS. Does this sound like the knowledge of a perfect, intelligent being?

"And these are they which ye shall have in abomination among the fowls; they shall not be eaten, they are an abomination: the eagle, and the ossifrage, and the ospray, And the vulture . . . And the stork, the heron after her kind, and the lapwing, and the bat." (Leviticus 11:13-19)

Bats are mammals, not birds.

"As he thinketh in his heart, so is he." (Proverbs 23:7)
    "And Jesus, perceiving the thought of their heart, took a child, and set him by him." (Luke 9:47)
    "Yea, my reins shall rejoice, when thy lips speak right things. Let not my heart envy sinners." (Proverbs 23:16-17)
    "I the Lord search the heart, I try the reins, even to give every man according to his ways." (Jeremiah 17:10)
    "All the churches will know that I am he which searcheth the reins and hearts." (Revelation 2:23)

Thinking takes place in the brain, not the heart.
    In biblical times, the kidneys ("reins") were the seat of the emotions. "Reins" was used roughly then as "heart" is sometimes used today.

"And, behold, one came and said unto him, Good master, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life? . . . Jesus said unto him, If thou wilt be perfect, go and sell that thou hast, and give to the poor; and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come and follow me." (Matthew 19:16-21)

Jesus says only the destitute will have eternal life.

"Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword." (Matthew 10:34)
    "Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid." (John 14:27)

Evidently, Jesus can't decide whether he's a peacemaker or a war monger.

Just because someone says they are God does not make them so.
    A king is not a ruler when he is overthrown.
    Superman is not the strongest man on the planet while holding Kryptonite.
    The bible is not sufficient in it's knowledge if God is infinite.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Bats are mammals, not birds.

Is this in any way a big deal? Do you think that if it was written that a bat was a mammal that the readers at that time would have understood?

Thinking takes place in the brain, not the heart.
    In biblical times, the kidneys ("reins") were the seat of the emotions. "Reins" was used roughly then as "heart" is sometimes used today.

Once again, very petty. If this kind of stuff is tripping you up, it is obvious that you want to be tripped up.

Jesus says only the destitute will have eternal life.

No he doesn't. He is talking to a specific guy in a specific situation
    about that guy's particular hangup. He does later say that it will be hard for the rich to be saved though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    JH,
    It sounds like you are acknowledging that the bible is not infallible and was written for a specific audience at a specific time in history. Those who claim the bible as relevant to current issues or sufficient to understanding the mind of God don't know what to do with small stuff like this and blow it off. Needless to say, there are much bigger things that have "tripped me up".

Questian

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    The truths of the Bible are infallible.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    So are the truths of every other religion/philosophy of the world.
    Are the falsehoods of the bible also infallible? Does science need to revise it's data concerning bats and hearts to align with what nomadic people wrote thousands of years ago who had no knowledge of modern biology?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    So are the truths of every other religion/philosophy of the world.

No they aren't. I can go further if you'd like, but I think you can think that one through.

If the point declared in these passages had anything to do with bats or what organ does the thinking, then yes, scientists should change their thinking on these two things. However, that was not the point being made. The speakers were speaking to certain people on their level in these particular passages, but that still doesn't mean that there isn't truth inherant for us today.
    Much of the Bible is universally adaptable.

You can take apart any words if you are nit-picky enough and make them seem untrue or irrelevant.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Much of the Bible is universally adaptable.
    Much does not equal all. Adaptability means able to change to suit the environment. What you are saying in effect is that the bible has EVOLVED!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Nice twisting of words, and a nice argument tactic. But, I didn't say, nor did I mean that.

Let's change the word adaptable(not what I meant) to applicable(what Imeant to say).

Some of the Bible was not meant to be universally applicable, some was written to very specific audience.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Again, some does not equal all, which means that not all of the bible is universally applicable.

Would you like to try again?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Read the last sentence of my last post. When I say that all of the Bible was meant to be universally applicable, then you may argue with me over it.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    questian,

You are not here to seek God or come to know him. Your main aim seems to be just to debate, argue and find fault.

You probably have already heard the Jesus Christ is the Son of God and that sinners like you need to repent and receive his free gift of forgiveness of sins and righteousness. No one can be reconciled to God except thru his Son Jesus Christ, exept thru the finished work on calvary, except thru the blood of Christ.

You've prob heard it all. Yet if you continue to reject this till the day you die, you will surely perish in hell. There is no more scarifice if u still reject.

I'm not impressed by your witty comments and smart talk or your theology. you can never find God that way. I wld advise you to humble yourself and repent for your own sake.

Those who have tried to reach you and convince you have prob tried hard. And are thus innocent of your blood. I thank God for their patience. But there will come a time when they will shake the dust of their feet and move on. Then you'll be on your own, unless God in his grace sends someone else.

The more you reject the more your heart hardens. Humble and hear. Dont harden your heart any further.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

A knowable God?

Andrew,
    You are correct, I am not here to seek God per se, rather demand proof of his existence. I am here to debate as this is a SKEPTICS DEBATE board. I am not here to be drawn into emotional arguments, but I do find fault with the rationale people use to justify belief in God. I am an EX-Christian so I am very familiar with all the pleas and emotional hooks that are used to persuade non-believers. The position I have taken is not in defiance of truth, my aim is the complete revealing of truth in a reasonable and logical debate of facts and evidence. When there is no evidence to be found, I naturally reject appeals to faith and eternal condemnation. If you are offended by what is said here, please feel free to leave, but if you stay your ego will certainly take a beating. I leave no stone unturned and no sacred cows saved from slaughter. Is your faith and your God up to the challenge?

Questian

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Re: A knowable God?

Questian,

So, basically, you want proof when you know the kind of proof you want is no where to be found?

You want God to come down and speak to you verbally, I wanted that too. You want him to make everything clear to you, I wanted that too.

You're expecting God (or in your case, a fictional being!) to answer to you instead of you answering to him.

It's not gonna happen. So who is wasting their time here?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Twonky,
    What happened that made you stop waiting for God to reveal himself to you? You say he did nothing so did you find him? What did you find?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Originally posted by questian
    What happened that made you stop waiting for God to reveal himself to you?
    I realized he had been revealing himself all along, I just refused to open my eyes and see it.

You say he did nothing so did you find him?
    I never said he did nothing.

What did you find?
    A whole lot of peace.

Page 1 of 3 1 ... LastLast