Pristine Grace

Thread: The Quagmire of Hyper Calvinism

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

The Quagmire of Hyper Calvinism

Thanks to a picture put up by Trav, there is an exciting conference this upcoming year that you may want to attend :

http://www.anchoredintruth.org/tcc10/
    Isaiah 45:7, (KJV), I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

Re: The Quagmire of Hyper Calvinism

This is my signature.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Giggity-Giggity-Goo!!
    Col 2:9, (NASB), For in Him all the fullness of Deity dwells in bodily form

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So, anyone going? I need a ride. Swing on over to Texas and pick me up.
    Rom 8:18-21, (NASB), For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory that is to be revealed to us. For the anxious longing of the creation waits eagerly for the revealing of the sons of God. For the creation was subjected to futility, not willingly, but because of Him who subjected it, in hope that the creation itself also will be set free from its slavery to corruption into the freedom of the glory of the children of God.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I'll pick you up, do you wanna split a room.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

If anyone attends this 'thing' I have a list of questions to be asked:

1. Name the prominent hyper-Calvinist church leaders or spokesmen, both historically and at present. Internet bloggers or posters do not count unless they have established recognized 'churches'.

2. Where can the well-published writings of hyper-Calvinists be purchased? What are the names of the books I can buy at Amazon that most clearly represent their theology?

3. Name the prominent hyper-Calvinist church denominations so that persons can be sure to avoid visiting their services.

If these questions cannot be answered, hyper-Calvinism is a straw man that does not exist.
    I got four things to live by: don't say nothin' that will hurt anybody; don't give advice--no one will take it anyway; don't complain; don't explain. Walter Scott

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Let's get to the bottom of all these scare tactics and stereo-typical labels.

What they all hate and deny is our Sovereign God, while elevating human responsibility as the core of their soteriology. In this way they can continue to foist guilt upon their unsuspecting flock and keep them in their evil grip and control.

More $$$ means bigger and better buildings, programs, and a high paid clergy who respond to no one except their upper leaders and fellow clergymen. A true guild of thieves!

Miss one Sunday service, get a phone call. Miss two, get a visit. Miss three, and you are a backslider. Miss four or more and your out. They will say you were never saved to begin with. And dare disagree with the pastor or elders??

They hate the doctrine of "Equal Ultimacy" and in all their theoligical jargon dismiss the Immutable perfection and character of God.

A reactionary god they could have!

Nicholas
    My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me: And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand..........John 10:27,28

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Robert R. Higby View Post
    hyper-Calvinism is a straw man that does not exist.
    Yep! That is the conclusion that I have come to.
    Rom 8:18-21, (NASB), For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory that is to be revealed to us. For the anxious longing of the creation waits eagerly for the revealing of the sons of God. For the creation was subjected to futility, not willingly, but because of Him who subjected it, in hope that the creation itself also will be set free from its slavery to corruption into the freedom of the glory of the children of God.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by trav View Post
    I'll pick you up, do you wanna split a room.
    don't worry about a room. We won't be there that long. As soon as I ask bro Bob's questions I will be running out of there for my life. You keep the car running and a window down and I will dive through the window and you drive off real fast.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Is it possible that you could video tape your questions? I would enjoy seeing their responses haha.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

John, did you attend? Just curious.
    I got four things to live by: don't say nothin' that will hurt anybody; don't give advice--no one will take it anyway; don't complain; don't explain. Walter Scott

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

John, did you attend? Just curious.
    Nope! I did not go.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I just checked the link again. It looks like it will be in February 2010. I will not be going.

Who first came up with hyper-Calvinism? Was it Arminians or was it Calvinists? I would think that Arminians would consider Calvinism itself to be hyper. We need a definition of what is hyper-Calvinism.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Calvinator View Post
    I just checked the link again. It looks like it will be in February 2010. I will not be going.

Who first came up with hyper-Calvinism? Was it Arminians or was it Calvinists? I would think that Arminians would consider Calvinism itself to be hyper. We need a definition of what is hyper-Calvinism.

John, I had a professor that constantly referred to himself as a "calvinist", but he was in fact an arminian that held to the preservation of the saints, which was completely inconsistent with his arminian beliefs. Anyway, he labeled true calvinism as "hyper-calvinism" all of the time. Some prof he was.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

Hyper-Calvinism, a non-existant straw man and red herring, does not exist. So it cannot be defined. Something that is an illusion has no definition.

I once assumed that it existed and equated it with the conditionalist Primitive Baptist movement! So it was easy to distance myself from it to gain acceptance from those who hated it. STUPID. I didn't know what I was talking about at all. I am supposed to endure the persecuting insults of those who HATE the high-grace predestinarian doctrines of the gospel, even if it means that I have no churchian fellowship!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hyper-Calvinism, a non-existant straw man and red herring, does not exist. So it cannot be defined. Something that is an illusion has no definition.
    That would explain why the definition is so elusive, because there is not one.

Thanks Robert for your response.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

I once assumed that it existed and equated it with the conditionalist Primitive Baptist movement! So it was easy to distance myself from it to gain acceptance from those who hated it. STUPID. I didn't know what I was talking about at all.
    Mega Dittos! Yes, I felt the same way, and that is what led me to write the two articles, "Confession of a Hyper-Calvinist", and "Hyper-Calvinism is the Truth!". I do not mind the label, "hyper-calvinist" because it is really meaningless. The day people stop screaming "Hyper-calvinist" at me is the day that I need to re-examine what it is I'm actually proclaiming because I will have strayed from the Gospel message.
    This is my signature.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Gill View Post
    Mega Dittos! Yes, I felt the same way, and that is what led me to write the two articles, \"Confession of a Hyper-Calvinist\", and \"Hyper-Calvinism is the Truth!\". I do not mind the label, \"hyper-calvinist\" because it is really meaningless. The day people stop screaming \"Hyper-calvinist\" at me is the day that I need to re-examine what it is I'm actually proclaiming because I will have strayed from the Gospel message.
    Two very good articles. I have read them both. If anyone has not read them, I highly recommend that you do.

Here are the links;

Confession of a Hyper-Calvinist

Hyper-Calvinism is the Truth : Darth Gill Responds to Phil Johnson

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

Darth: The day people stop screaming "Hyper-calvinist" at me is the day that I need to re-examine what it is I'm actually proclaiming because I will have strayed from the Gospel message.

Amen to that! Even though hyper-Calvinism is not a definable entity, being accused of the label by infralapsarian Fullerists certainly means that you are taking gospel predestination and its implications seriously!