Pristine Grace
Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: The Quagmire of Hyper Calvinism

  1. #1
    Administrator Greg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    1,136
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    18
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    15
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

    The Quagmire of Hyper Calvinism

    Thanks to a picture put up by Trav, there is an exciting conference this upcoming year that you may want to attend :

    http://www.anchoredintruth.org/tcc10/
    Isaiah 45:7, (KJV), I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things.

  2. #2
    Administrator Brandan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    5,829
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    144
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    92
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

    Re: The Quagmire of Hyper Calvinism

    This is my signature.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    boise
    Posts
    104
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    3
    Thanked in
    1 Post

    Re: The Quagmire of Hyper Calvinism

    Giggity-Giggity-Goo!!
    Col 2:9, (NASB), For in Him all the fullness of Deity dwells in bodily form

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Posts
    415
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Re: The Quagmire of Hyper Calvinism

    So, anyone going? I need a ride. Swing on over to Texas and pick me up.
    Rom 8:18-21, (NASB), For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory that is to be revealed to us. For the anxious longing of the creation waits eagerly for the revealing of the sons of God. For the creation was subjected to futility, not willingly, but because of Him who subjected it, in hope that the creation itself also will be set free from its slavery to corruption into the freedom of the glory of the children of God.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    boise
    Posts
    104
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    3
    Thanked in
    1 Post

    Re: The Quagmire of Hyper Calvinism

    I'll pick you up, do you wanna split a room.
    Col 2:9, (NASB), For in Him all the fullness of Deity dwells in bodily form

  6. #6
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Hawaiian Islands
    Posts
    3,671
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    73
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    116
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

    Re: The Quagmire of Hyper Calvinism

    If anyone attends this 'thing' I have a list of questions to be asked:

    1. Name the prominent hyper-Calvinist church leaders or spokesmen, both historically and at present. Internet bloggers or posters do not count unless they have established recognized 'churches'.

    2. Where can the well-published writings of hyper-Calvinists be purchased? What are the names of the books I can buy at Amazon that most clearly represent their theology?

    3. Name the prominent hyper-Calvinist church denominations so that persons can be sure to avoid visiting their services.

    If these questions cannot be answered, hyper-Calvinism is a straw man that does not exist.
    I got four things to live by: don't say nothin' that will hurt anybody; don't give advice--no one will take it anyway; don't complain; don't explain. Walter Scott

  7. #7
    Moderator Saint Nicholas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    New Castle, PA
    Posts
    711
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Re: The Quagmire of Hyper Calvinism

    Let's get to the bottom of all these scare tactics and stereo-typical labels.

    What they all hate and deny is our Sovereign God, while elevating human responsibility as the core of their soteriology. In this way they can continue to foist guilt upon their unsuspecting flock and keep them in their evil grip and control.

    More $$$ means bigger and better buildings, programs, and a high paid clergy who respond to no one except their upper leaders and fellow clergymen. A true guild of thieves!

    Miss one Sunday service, get a phone call. Miss two, get a visit. Miss three, and you are a backslider. Miss four or more and your out. They will say you were never saved to begin with. And dare disagree with the pastor or elders??

    They hate the doctrine of "Equal Ultimacy" and in all their theoligical jargon dismiss the Immutable perfection and character of God.

    A reactionary god they could have!

    Nicholas
    My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me: And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand..........John 10:27,28

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Posts
    415
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Re: The Quagmire of Hyper Calvinism

    Quote Originally Posted by Robert R. Higby View Post
    hyper-Calvinism is a straw man that does not exist.
    Yep! That is the conclusion that I have come to.
    Rom 8:18-21, (NASB), For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory that is to be revealed to us. For the anxious longing of the creation waits eagerly for the revealing of the sons of God. For the creation was subjected to futility, not willingly, but because of Him who subjected it, in hope that the creation itself also will be set free from its slavery to corruption into the freedom of the glory of the children of God.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Posts
    415
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Re: The Quagmire of Hyper Calvinism

    Quote Originally Posted by trav View Post
    I'll pick you up, do you wanna split a room.
    don't worry about a room. We won't be there that long. As soon as I ask bro Bob's questions I will be running out of there for my life. You keep the car running and a window down and I will dive through the window and you drive off real fast.
    Rom 8:18-21, (NASB), For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory that is to be revealed to us. For the anxious longing of the creation waits eagerly for the revealing of the sons of God. For the creation was subjected to futility, not willingly, but because of Him who subjected it, in hope that the creation itself also will be set free from its slavery to corruption into the freedom of the glory of the children of God.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Posts
    190
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Re: The Quagmire of Hyper Calvinism

    Is it possible that you could video tape your questions? I would enjoy seeing their responses haha.

  11. #11
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Hawaiian Islands
    Posts
    3,671
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    73
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    116
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

    Re: The Quagmire of Hyper Calvinism

    John, did you attend? Just curious.
    I got four things to live by: don't say nothin' that will hurt anybody; don't give advice--no one will take it anyway; don't complain; don't explain. Walter Scott

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Posts
    415
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Re: The Quagmire of Hyper Calvinism

    Quote Originally Posted by Robert R. Higby View Post
    John, did you attend? Just curious.
    Nope! I did not go.
    Rom 8:18-21, (NASB), For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory that is to be revealed to us. For the anxious longing of the creation waits eagerly for the revealing of the sons of God. For the creation was subjected to futility, not willingly, but because of Him who subjected it, in hope that the creation itself also will be set free from its slavery to corruption into the freedom of the glory of the children of God.

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Posts
    415
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Re: The Quagmire of Hyper Calvinism

    I just checked the link again. It looks like it will be in February 2010. I will not be going.

    Who first came up with hyper-Calvinism? Was it Arminians or was it Calvinists? I would think that Arminians would consider Calvinism itself to be hyper. We need a definition of what is hyper-Calvinism.
    Rom 8:18-21, (NASB), For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory that is to be revealed to us. For the anxious longing of the creation waits eagerly for the revealing of the sons of God. For the creation was subjected to futility, not willingly, but because of Him who subjected it, in hope that the creation itself also will be set free from its slavery to corruption into the freedom of the glory of the children of God.

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    boise
    Posts
    104
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    3
    Thanked in
    1 Post

    Re: The Quagmire of Hyper Calvinism

    Quote Originally Posted by Calvinator View Post
    I just checked the link again. It looks like it will be in February 2010. I will not be going.

    Who first came up with hyper-Calvinism? Was it Arminians or was it Calvinists? I would think that Arminians would consider Calvinism itself to be hyper. We need a definition of what is hyper-Calvinism.

    John, I had a professor that constantly referred to himself as a "calvinist", but he was in fact an arminian that held to the preservation of the saints, which was completely inconsistent with his arminian beliefs. Anyway, he labeled true calvinism as "hyper-calvinism" all of the time. Some prof he was.
    Col 2:9, (NASB), For in Him all the fullness of Deity dwells in bodily form

  15. #15
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Hawaiian Islands
    Posts
    3,671
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    73
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    116
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

    Re: The Quagmire of Hyper Calvinism

    Hyper-Calvinism, a non-existant straw man and red herring, does not exist. So it cannot be defined. Something that is an illusion has no definition.

    I once assumed that it existed and equated it with the conditionalist Primitive Baptist movement! So it was easy to distance myself from it to gain acceptance from those who hated it. STUPID. I didn't know what I was talking about at all. I am supposed to endure the persecuting insults of those who HATE the high-grace predestinarian doctrines of the gospel, even if it means that I have no churchian fellowship!
    I got four things to live by: don't say nothin' that will hurt anybody; don't give advice--no one will take it anyway; don't complain; don't explain. Walter Scott

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Posts
    415
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Re: The Quagmire of Hyper Calvinism

    Quote Originally Posted by Robert R. Higby View Post
    Hyper-Calvinism, a non-existant straw man and red herring, does not exist. So it cannot be defined. Something that is an illusion has no definition.
    That would explain why the definition is so elusive, because there is not one.

    Thanks Robert for your response.
    Rom 8:18-21, (NASB), For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory that is to be revealed to us. For the anxious longing of the creation waits eagerly for the revealing of the sons of God. For the creation was subjected to futility, not willingly, but because of Him who subjected it, in hope that the creation itself also will be set free from its slavery to corruption into the freedom of the glory of the children of God.

  17. #17
    Administrator Brandan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    5,829
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    144
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    92
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

    Re: The Quagmire of Hyper Calvinism

    Quote Originally Posted by Robert R. Higby View Post
    I once assumed that it existed and equated it with the conditionalist Primitive Baptist movement! So it was easy to distance myself from it to gain acceptance from those who hated it. STUPID. I didn't know what I was talking about at all.
    Mega Dittos! Yes, I felt the same way, and that is what led me to write the two articles, "Confession of a Hyper-Calvinist", and "Hyper-Calvinism is the Truth!". I do not mind the label, "hyper-calvinist" because it is really meaningless. The day people stop screaming "Hyper-calvinist" at me is the day that I need to re-examine what it is I'm actually proclaiming because I will have strayed from the Gospel message.
    This is my signature.

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Posts
    415
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Re: The Quagmire of Hyper Calvinism

    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Gill View Post
    Mega Dittos! Yes, I felt the same way, and that is what led me to write the two articles, \"Confession of a Hyper-Calvinist\", and \"Hyper-Calvinism is the Truth!\". I do not mind the label, \"hyper-calvinist\" because it is really meaningless. The day people stop screaming \"Hyper-calvinist\" at me is the day that I need to re-examine what it is I'm actually proclaiming because I will have strayed from the Gospel message.
    Two very good articles. I have read them both. If anyone has not read them, I highly recommend that you do.

    Here are the links;

    Confession of a Hyper-Calvinist

    Hyper-Calvinism is the Truth : Darth Gill Responds to Phil Johnson
    Rom 8:18-21, (NASB), For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory that is to be revealed to us. For the anxious longing of the creation waits eagerly for the revealing of the sons of God. For the creation was subjected to futility, not willingly, but because of Him who subjected it, in hope that the creation itself also will be set free from its slavery to corruption into the freedom of the glory of the children of God.

  19. #19
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Hawaiian Islands
    Posts
    3,671
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    73
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    116
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

    Re: The Quagmire of Hyper Calvinism

    Darth: The day people stop screaming "Hyper-calvinist" at me is the day that I need to re-examine what it is I'm actually proclaiming because I will have strayed from the Gospel message.

    Amen to that! Even though hyper-Calvinism is not a definable entity, being accused of the label by infralapsarian Fullerists certainly means that you are taking gospel predestination and its implications seriously!
    I got four things to live by: don't say nothin' that will hurt anybody; don't give advice--no one will take it anyway; don't complain; don't explain. Walter Scott

Similar Threads

  1. Stone scroll found...
    By Just Grace in forum General Discussion Archive
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-02-08, 02:06 AM
  2. Kingdom of God in Luke
    By MCoving in forum Predestinarian Doctrine Archive
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 09-05-06, 06:19 AM
  3. Non Creative Speech.
    By Ivor Thomas in forum General Discussion Archive
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-30-05, 07:26 AM
  4. Lou Rugg AKA Louis Ruggerio
    By John 6-37 in forum General Discussion Archive
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-25-04, 07:03 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •