Pristine Grace
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 5

Thread: Article: James Exposed

Abraham Juliot

sentence structure

Yup. It sure is! It's biased toward our particular predestinarian views. I wonder how or why you thought differently? [Brandan]
    Everyone is bias against views that are not their own, including you. There is nothing wrong with that. There is nothing wrong with governing a website with bias against different views. Being bias against views that are bias against views, isn't that being bias against views? [John]
    There's nothing wrong with having a bias position or a website with a bias position. Bias can come in many forms. I am referring to the Governing form of Bias which can be found practiced in popular news media corporations. "Practical limitations to media neutrality include the inability of journalists to report all available stories and facts... Government influence, including overt and covert censorship, biases the media in some countries." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bias

I note these qualities in a Governing Bias:
    1. Ignores or silences objectors so as to prevent objections.
    2. Portrays their objectors as lacking charitable character for their bluntness. Allows their side to express views bluntly, but rebukes the objectors character for expressing their views bluntly.
    3. Refers to the negative character in their objectors by misquoting them or quoting nothing to confirm their claim.

These are 3 examples of Brandan's Governing Bias:
    1. Brandan ignores my questions to him in mid-discussion and enters later to silence further discussion.
    2. Brandan corrects me by quoting my blunt response to Higby as being a negative attitude, "your words here are of no value when it comes to discerning doctrine from error," [Abraham] The epistle of James which I defend has [in this thread] been related to... "a bunch of judizer crap" [Greg] and "the sewer still stinks unto death. [Higby]"
    3. Brandan corrects me by misquoting me saying ,"clearly nobody has refuted me." Perhaps I'm missing something I said, but I rather recall saying, "You present another example of one who denies the epistle of James and like others, you leave the discussion after your arguments have been refuted." [Abraham] Brandan goes on to correct me by quoting me saying nothing as though it was enough to further his argument that I have a negative attitude, "...etc. etc. etc." [Abraham]

Brandan, you have the freedom to govern this forum like a media corporation. I'm not interested.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    66 Posts

Re: sentence structure

There has been no attempt to silence anyone here. As always, if there is not satisfactory interaction with views that are posted, there are legitimate reasons:

1. The posts are perceived as a crusade against views of p-net and not sincere interaction.
    2. The posts violate the 'rule of three' (limit discussion to a few points in any one post; don't try and overwhelm by posting large amounts of material and asking many questions at once).
    3. The posts are perceived as an apologetic for Augustinian or Protestant tradition and not a genuine dialog of truth outside of that box.

Although Luther has been condemned here, I believe his fundamental points are correct and can't be improved upon:

a) The theology in Jas. 2:14-26 of comparing faith to a dead corpse (the mere 'body') and works to resurrection of such a corpse (the 'spirit') is foreign to all of the New Testament. Including all passages teaching the importance of works independent of such false doctrine.

b) The book called James has no early attestation evidencing apostolic authority and therefore can't be considered as genuine (much less a candidate for inclusion in scripture) unless it contains an unmistakable Christocentric or gospel hermeneutic. One's view (including Luther's) on exactly how it originated is irrelevant in this regard.

c) The New Testament message is an integrated testimony of gospel doctrine. ANY deviations from that testimony are to be rejected as the mere inventions of sinful men no matter how much they have been defended in past ages.

--Bob
    I got four things to live by: don't say nothin' that will hurt anybody; don't give advice--no one will take it anyway; don't complain; don't explain. Walter Scott

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

Re: sentence structure

I ran across this word and definition this morning and thought some of you might enjoy it.

mump·si·mus

[muhmp-suh-muhs] Show IPA
    –noun, plural -mus·es for 2.

adherence to or persistence in an erroneous use of language, memorization, practice, belief, etc., out of habit or obstinacy ( opposed to sumpsimus).
    a person who persists in a mistaken expression or practice ( opposed to sumpsimus).
    Origin:
    1520–30; *from a story, which perh. originated with Erasmus, of an illiterate priest who said mumpsimus *rather than sūmpsimus *(1st pl. perfect indic. of L sūmere *to pick up
    ; see consume) while reciting the liturgy, and refused to change the word when corrected.
    Dictionary.com Unabridged
    Based on the Random House Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2010.

mumpsimus

noun
    a traditional notion that is obstinately held although it is unreasonable; "he still holds to the mumpsimus when he stated":
    Quote Originally Posted by Abraham Juliot View Post
    Notice that James says, \\"Ye see then how that by works a man is justified, and not by faith only.\\" The \\"how\\" is important. James is teaching \\"how\\" we are justified (declared righteous) in the sight of others [God and Man]. It is by works of faith, and not by faith only.
    Isaiah 45:7, (KJV), I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

Gleanings from Deuteronomy

My wife was reading through Deuteronomy this morning and brought this to my attention, she said it made her think of the "James" thing. I am going to add the word {James and other words} in braces and in red so you can see my additions.

I think you'll find this interesting.

Deuteronomy 13:1: If a prophet rises among you, or a dreamer of dreams, and gives you a sign or a wonder,
    Deuteronomy 13:2: and the sign or the wonder which he foretold to you occurs, saying, Let us go after other gods which you have not known, {or a different gospel from the one Paul preached} and let us serve them,
    Deuteronomy 13:3: you shall not listen to the words of that prophet {or treat James like it is authoritative and part of the canon - it is only part of the 66 books to test those who are not his} or that dreamer of dreams. For the LORD your God is testing you to know whether you love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul.
    Deuteronomy 13:4: You shall walk after the LORD your God and fear Him, and keep His commandments, and obey His voice {not the book of James}, and you shall serve Him and hold fast to Him.
    Isaiah 45:7, (KJV), I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Re: Article: James Exposed

...For the LORD your God is testing you to know whether you love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul.
    (emphasis is mine)

What extra proof should we have that God controls and USES even error to test us? What other evidence we need that God causes and "relents" on error for His own purposes?
    Isn't it interesting that God does not "blame" the false prophet primarily, but inspires Moses to write that He is actually involved in disseminating the error? How else can we read this text? Combine the text with God using lying prophets in Kings and Chronicles. How can we explain OUT of the Bible God's actions in using error and deceit to test us, AND CAUSING THEM TO REMAIN AMONG THE INSPIRED TEXTS? Such explanation would be a deceit itself, and a horrible one!

I am just happy that Paul teaches us that God does not test the Elect beyond our capability, but also gives us the escape!

The question is unavoidable: Could God caused the book of James to be one of these tests to check if we would REMAIN IN GRACE as the only source of our Justification, as commanded (Galatians) by Paul? I will not answer this question to anyone; I just hope they can so much as give me credit and reflect on the question before the answer it!

Milt
    Grace Ambassador
    A pitiful servant of God; a pitbull guardian of the message of Grace

My pledge to other members:
    A soft answer turneth away wrath: but grievous words stir up anger. Prov 15:1
    A word fitly spoken is like apples of gold in pictures of silver - Prov. 25:11

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    66 Posts

Re: Article: James Exposed

I agree with you Greg!

The major issue in this context is when men try and equate writings that may contain certain valid teachings with scripture. Christ gave us His view of what constitutes the OT scriptures in Luke 24:44,45. Yet men have tried for centuries (even before Christ) to equate significant wisdom and historical literature (such as Ecclesiastes, Canticles, and Esther) with scripture itself. The New Testament is an apostolic testimony to the gospel that was entrusted by Christ to the twelve, yet men try to elevate other literature from that era containing some valuable teaching (more or less, depending on the book) with the NT. If a book does not have evidence that it was written by one of Christ's elect apostles or a person taught directly and intensely by one of them, I will not call it scripture.
    I got four things to live by: don't say nothin' that will hurt anybody; don't give advice--no one will take it anyway; don't complain; don't explain. Walter Scott

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 5