Pristine Grace

Thread: Ray Comfort - Preaching an Atonement of No Hope [compared with the Mormon's]

Abraham Juliot

Ray Comfort - Preaching an Atonement of No Hope [compared with the Mormon's]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yEgwcGfIVs

Transcript:

[Ray Comfort assures the unbeliever] "...A legal transaction took place... Jesus paid YOUR fine in His lifes blood."

Ray Comfort is teaching 3
    false doctrines here:

1. Indefinite Atonement
    2. Conditional Atonement
    3. Vain Atonement

INDEFINITE ATONEMENT teaches and implies that Jesus Christ did not effectually bear and put away the sins of anyone by the sacrifice of Himself ALONE. Indefinite atonement frustrates the hope of the gospel by teaching that Jesus bore the sin of everyone, including everyone who is currently in hell. "As the Father knoweth me, even so know I the Father: and I lay down my life for the sheep." [John 10:15] "...he bare the sin of many, and made intercession for the transgressors." [Isaiah 53:12]

"You broke God's law and Jesus paid YOUR fine..." Is this true for those who are now in hell paying their fine? "You broke God's law and Jesus paid YOUR fine..." How is this gospel good news, if Christ accomplished a conditional opportunity of redemption that leaves many souls in hell for whom He intended to ransom?

The clear implications of Ray's teaching is that there are 2 things that you have to do for Jesus to effectually bear and put away your sins by the sacrifice of Himself. 2 Things!!!?

Faith unto salvation is the gift of God. By Faith we embrace and enjoy the hope of Jesus Christ. True Faith walks with God and lives in Him with a Spirit wrought love towards Him. Repentance and Faith cannot cause Jesus Christ to effectually bear and put away your sins by the sacrifice of Himself. Faith unto salvation is the fruit of Christ's effectual redemption... Not the cause.

Let us compare what Ray is teaching to what a Mormon teaches about the atonement.

[The Mormon says] "...They've done their part. Now all we got to do is ours."

CONDITIONAL ATONEMENT teaches that there is at least one condition or duty that man must perform in order to allow Jesus Christ to effectaully bear your sins and put them away by the sacrifice of Himself. Some teach that more than one condition is necessary. Here are 2 conditions that are commonly implied.

1. Believe that Jesus will do everything He can possibly do to conditionally atone for your sins as He did for those who are now in hell. [Many would not word it like that. However, this is the clear implications of an indefinite atonement]

2. Ceasing from all sin. [stop breaking the 10 commandments and start keeping them.]

"What we do, is to repent in order to qualify." -Mormon

[The Mormon says Christ work was "Finished"] Finished What!?

It is blasphemy to teach, "Christ was not made a curse for His sheep." It is the same blasphemy to teach, "Those for whom Christ was made a curse may themselves be cursed." God says, "Christ hath redeemed us from the curse of the law, being made a curse for us: for it is written, Cursed[ is] every one that hangeth on a tree." -Galatians 3:13

Unless you are comforted by a vain confidence in your self-sufficiency, the clear implications of an indefinite and conditional atonement will lead you to despair of any true hope. If any for whom Christ died, may perish in hell... Something other than the death of Christ becomes our hope. An atonement that was intended to save those who are now in hell, is not a Real Atonement! It is a Vain Atonement!

"I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain." [Galatians 2:21]

Notice he [the Mormon] says, "Mercy can..." and not "Mercy has..."

Consider these quotes from Mormon websites. They all hold to an indefinite, conditional, and vain atonement. Mormon's teach that God was once as man and man may become as God. The Way of the Master and Living Waters does not teach this. But, like the Mormon's, they are teaching an atonement of No Hope.

1. “We don’t earn salvation. Heavenly Father and the Savior will bless us with eternal life, through Their grace, if we do our part. They have asked us to have faith in Jesus Christ, repent throughout our lives, be baptized and receive other ordinances, and faithfully endure to the end. If we do that, we are promised eternal life through the grace of God.” - Mormon

2. We receive God’s grace because of the Atonement. We can’t raise ourselves from the dead, so the Resurrection is an example of His grace. We can’t purify ourselves from sin, so the Lord’s forgiveness is another example of grace. But before He will forgive us, we must repent—that’s our part, our works... By doing so, we invite the Lord’s grace into our lives and qualify for the gift of salvation." - Mormon

3. “…our good works do not earn salvation for us, for no matter how many good deeds we do; we have still sinned and are unclean, and no unclean thing can dwell in God’s presence. Ultimately, we are saved through Jesus Christ, whose sacrifice on the cross and whose resurrection from death, provide the opportunity for all to return to God’s presence.” - Mormon

4. “God desires all of us to inherit Eternal Life, but because He is perfect and just and we are weak and imperfect, He cannot simply give it to us, otherwise He would be denying justice. The solution is for Jesus Christ to pay the penalty for our sins. This act is called the atonement. To apply the atonement in our lives, we must believe in Jesus, repent of our sins and covenant with God and Jesus Christ to follow Jesus as our Leader and perfect Example.” -Mormon

Way of the Master evangelism does not teach the effectual hope of the atonement of Jesus Christ in their training series, but rather they leave multitudes of sinners under the impression that Christ died for Judas, Esau, Pharaoh, and every other soul that shall go to hell.

Romans 8:31-35 -
    31 What shall we then say to these things? If God[ be] for us, who[ can be] against us? 32 He that spared not his own Son, but delivered him up for us all, how shall he not with him also freely give us all things? 33 Who shall lay any thing to the charge of God's elect?[ It is] God that justifieth. 34 Who[ is] he that condemneth?[ It is] Christ that died, yea rather, that is risen again, who is even at the right hand of God, who also maketh intercession for us. 35 Who shall separate us from the love of Christ?...

John 6:35-37 -
    35 And Jesus said unto them, I am the bread of life: he that cometh to me shall never hunger; and he that believeth on me shall never thirst. 36 But I said unto you, That ye also have seen me, and believe not. 37 All that the Father giveth me shall come to me; and him that cometh to me I will in no wise cast out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

Re: Ray Comfort - Preaching an Atonement of No Hope [compared with the Mormon's]

Who is Ray Comfort? LOL I listened briefly - some very BAD THEOLOGY.
    This is my signature.

Abraham Juliot

Re: Ray Comfort - Preaching an Atonement of No Hope [compared with the Mormon's]

Ray is an open air/street preacher from New Zealand since late 70's, in United States since the late 80's and the founder of Livingwaters ministries. He also co founded The Way of the Master ministries w/Kirk Cameron in since about 2001. They reside in Southern California and preach at Huntington beach on a weekly basis.

His ministry started out underground. When Kirk Cameron joined up, their fame spread worldwide. Many (internationally) attend their annual and seasonal conferences.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

I became familiar w/these guys about 8 yeas ago. BK is right, bad theology.
    Their ministry (I hate the term ministry) is another example of how the modern day reformed church has been purposely deceived.
    Isaiah 45:7, (KJV), I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Brandan Kraft View Post
    Who is Ray Comfort? LOL I listened briefly - some very BAD THEOLOGY.
    You know Brandan, if you would turn on TBN once in awhile, you would know who he was. LOL
    Rom 8:18-21, (NASB), For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory that is to be revealed to us. For the anxious longing of the creation waits eagerly for the revealing of the sons of God. For the creation was subjected to futility, not willingly, but because of Him who subjected it, in hope that the creation itself also will be set free from its slavery to corruption into the freedom of the glory of the children of God.