Pristine Grace

Thread: "The Fault Will Be Yours" - Questions regarding Paul Washer

Abraham Juliot

"The Fault Will Be Yours" - Questions regarding Paul Washer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbWaIvB_heo

In a video on youtube called "Come to Christ, He is Mighty to Save" by Paul Washer, these statements are made by him. Please watch the short video for the full context.

"...I know all about the sovereignty of God, about the great confessions, and I embrace them all. I know about election and predestination, and all those things I believe; but at the same time, when I look in the new testament, this is what I hear God saying, "I don't care what you have become, and I don't care what you've done, My Son has paid for it all on the cross, now come home... He calls all men to turn from sin and come back to Him, and those who come to Him, He will not cast out...God is love and He has provided a Savior... and if you don't come to Him, the fault will be yours."

Questions Regarding the quote [in the video contextt]:

1. Is there serious error(s) in Washer's statement?

2. If so, what is the error(s)?

3. Is it man's fault if he does not savingly come to Christ through the grace of God (after hearing the gospel)?

4. Is it man's fault if he heard the gospel and is not redeemed by Christ (atoned for and interceded for through Christ)?

5. [Pick one or more - or feel free to comment on any of them]
    a. Washer is merely saying that it is man's fault for his sin (such as hatred and bitterness against the truth of the gospel).
    b. Washer probably intended his exhortation only for weary souls that are sensible to their need of Christ.
    c. Washer is saying that it is man's fault for not savingly coming to Christ.
    d. Washer is clearly implying that it is man's fault if he is not among the redeemed of the LORD.
    e. None of the above (please share your thoughts).

6. [Pick one or more - or feel free to comment on any of them]
    a. It is clear what Paul Washer meant by these words.
    d. It is not clear what Paul Washer meant by these words.
    e. Despite what Paul Washer meant by these words, the implications of his statements are clear.
    e. I don't care what Paul Washer meant, he is an amazing preacher.
    f. I fully agree with everything Paul Washer stated in this quote.
    g. None of the above (please share your thoughts).

blessing

Abraham Juliot

Re: "The Fault Will Be Yours" - Questions regarding Paul Washer

I was unable to find the full sermon of this dutch translation sermon video, but I did come across another video with a gospel call. Notice the difference. [Start at 1:19:00]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXB-dzsRBV4&feature=rec-LGOUT-exp_fresh+div-1r-3-HM

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    61 Posts

I don't think I can take any more Paul Washer. Ugh.
    This is my signature.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Brandan Kraft View Post
    I don't think I can take any more Paul Washer. Ugh.
    Amen!
    Isaiah 45:7, (KJV), I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I watched the 3 minute video and the first thing that I picked up was the he does not believe in man's inability to come to Christ. How does a spiritually dead sinner that cannot know, understand and believe the Gospel keep anything from getting in the way that would keep him from coming to Christ? The sinner will not and can not come to Christ.

I find that a lot of preachers say that they believe in the Sovereignty of God and predestination, but in reality they don't. This world is in the state that it is in, because it was what God determined it would be from the beginning.

It was God that created the lion and his sharp teeth. It was God that created poisonous snakes. It was God that created sinners. It was God's will to subject all of creation to futility and to redeem a few of His choosing and that they would be conformed to the image of His Son and the rest of mankind have no hope. It is God that has already determined the finale place that every person will spend eternity. This is how important the Sovereignty of God and predestination are to the elect. What do you think Paul Washer would say about this?
    Rom 8:18-21, (NASB), For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory that is to be revealed to us. For the anxious longing of the creation waits eagerly for the revealing of the sons of God. For the creation was subjected to futility, not willingly, but because of Him who subjected it, in hope that the creation itself also will be set free from its slavery to corruption into the freedom of the glory of the children of God.

Abraham Juliot

The sinner will not and can not come to Christ.
    Paul Washer would fully agree with this (in light of many of his sermons and his books). There is no error in exhorting the unregenerate to do things which they ought to do. Man has no ability to obey because of his carnality, but God has every right to command them to worship Him as their creator. However, Paul Washer does make an error in this video.

Paul Washer errors by exhorting the unregenerate to do things which ought not be done of themselves apart from the quickening influence of the Holy Ghost to hope in the mercy of God.

It was God that created the lion and his sharp teeth. It was God that created poisonous snakes. It was God that created sinners. It was God's will to subject all of creation to futility and to redeem a few of His choosing and that they would be conformed to the image of His Son and the rest of mankind have no hope. It is God that has already determined the finale place that every person will spend eternity. This is how important the Sovereignty of God and predestination are to the elect. What do you think Paul Washer would say about this?
    You can find more on his doctrine at the missionary site:
    http://www.heartcrymissionary.com/ab...faith/doctrine

Abraham Juliot

I wrote an article awhile back on the first video and added a statement on the second.

http://abrahamjuliot.blogspot.com/20...ul-washer.html

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

...He calls all men to turn from sin and come back to Him, and those who come to Him, He will not cast out...God is love and He has provided a Savior... and if you don't come to Him, the fault will be yours."
    The scripture of John 6:37 says nothing about calling "all men".

It says: ALL who the FATHER HAS GIVEN ME shall come to me: this is an affirmation of a fact and NOT A CALL. He did not say: I call ALL MEN, neither did He say: I call ALL MEN whom the Father has given me. He simply states that, in a unavoidable and unalterable way, THOSE WHOM THE FATHER GAVE HIM WILL COME TO HIM. We call this "irresistible Grace" or "effectual calling". These whom the Father gave to Him, not only WILL COME TO HIM IRRESISTIBLY but also will NOT BE REJECTED or DISMISSED LATER. We call it PERSEVERANCE OR PRESERVATION OF THE SAINTS.

I guess this is what happens when people quote scriptures without really "quoting them".

The End
    Grace Ambassador
    A pitiful servant of God; a pitbull guardian of the message of Grace

My pledge to other members:
    A soft answer turneth away wrath: but grievous words stir up anger. Prov 15:1
    A word fitly spoken is like apples of gold in pictures of silver - Prov. 25:11

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Abraham Juliot View Post
    Paul Washer errors by exhorting the unregenerate to do things which ought not be done of themselves apart from the quickening influence of the Holy Ghost to hope in the mercy of God.
    Right! That reveals what he actually believes.
    Rom 8:18-21, (NASB), For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory that is to be revealed to us. For the anxious longing of the creation waits eagerly for the revealing of the sons of God. For the creation was subjected to futility, not willingly, but because of Him who subjected it, in hope that the creation itself also will be set free from its slavery to corruption into the freedom of the glory of the children of God.

Abraham Juliot

...I guess this is what happens when people quote scriptures without really "quoting them".

...That reveals what he actually believes.
    Well said.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Calvinator View Post
    Right! That reveals what he actually believes.
    Paul washer reminds of alot ..of the WITCHIANITY that is out there in ABUNDANCE! And Yuck - there is plenty of that to go around.. and I guarantee GOD is not the least bit pleased with any of it..

It keeps the emphasis of "control" on man and not on THE ALMIGHTY, ALL-POWERFUL, CONTROLLING GOD!

[Daniel 4:35 ]
    And all the inhabitants of the earth [are] reputed as nothing: and he doeth according to his will in the army of heaven, and [among] the inhabitants of the earth: and none can stay his hand, or say unto him, What doest thou?
    - King James Version (1769 Oxford 'Authorized Version')

Chris

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts

This issue always goes back to what John said:

I find that a lot of preachers say that they believe in the Sovereignty of God and predestination, but in reality they don't. This world is in the state that it is in, because it was what God determined it would be from the beginning.

And what would 99.5 percent of those who call themselves 'Calvinist' say about this? Nothing. Of all the many hundreds of Calvinist sermons I have heard over the last 30 years, I have been exhorted to apologize for the doctrine of God's full sovereignty again and again. I have never once heard an exhortation to REJOICE in the full sovereignty of God in both election and reprobation. If a concept of double predestination has been presented by a churchian preacher, it certainly was advanced with the conclusion that both he (the preacher) and we cannot be Satanically perverse by 'liking it'!
    I got four things to live by: don't say nothin' that will hurt anybody; don't give advice--no one will take it anyway; don't complain; don't explain. Walter Scott

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Robert R. Higby View Post
    This issue always goes back to what John said:

And what would 99.5 percent of those who call themselves 'Calvinist' say about this? Nothing. Of all the many hundreds of Calvinist sermons I have heard over the last 30 years, I have been exhorted to apologize for the doctrine of God's full sovereignty again and again. I have never once heard an exhortation to REJOICE in the full sovereignty of God in both election and reprobation. If a concept of double predestination has been presented by a churchian preacher, it certainly was advanced with the conclusion that both he (the preacher) and we cannot be Satanically perverse by 'liking it'!
    There are two major priorities in the 95% you mentioned Bob:

1. Their organizations is assembled in such a way as to require the funds of the careless people who do not find in themselves to be interested in the core doctrines of the Gospel. Add to these people who want to purposefully maintain with their financial resources their preachers quiet concerning issues such as double predestination and you have the marriage of the devil and his deputy. So the priority here is POPULARITY
    2. Because of number one, there is a dire need of maintenance; today success is crowd, whatever size they are, as long as they support the "ministry". For that they will use the liturgy befitting to a funeral home (after all they're dead anyway), the other extreme will use loud music (so as to deafen the ears of hearers thus preventing them from even checking the truths) and a very watered down version of the Gospel that is indeed not Gospel at all. So the priority here, linked to the first one is MAINTENANCE

With these two factors, I see an increasing number of once reformed preachers going to Calvin books and other early reformers (since they won't find it in the Bible) attempting to find any word, any phrase, generally out of context that they can use to justify the "denial by silence" of the doctrines that once were dear to them such as Double predestination and the Sovereignty of God and the things God decreed before the foundation of the world, and then, they bring this microcosm of an entire doctrine to combat the whole doctrine and YES they APOLOGIZE for it and shun it because IT THREATENS what they have conquered by IGNORING IT!

There is a saying that says that "silence is consent". If you're quiet about something you are not silent at all: you are actually VOICING OUT LOUD the OPPOSITE of that something! So, I charge as backsliders these preachers that not even once during a period of a year, or even in the so called "bible studies" mention anything about election, predestination--the double kind--the Sovereignty of God, God exclusive Grace toward the elect and a few others.

As long as "temples" and "buildings" are called church; as long as real estate and crowds are a credential for success, I HAVE NO HOPE that any of these 95% will ever change. In fact I thing they will even farther slide back into the mire clay of the oxymoron of Calminianism.

I believed that one day the Church needed a reform; now a reform won't do it; it will be like the new wine and the old wineskin analogy... We have to break it all down and rebuild it again!

Milt
    Grace Ambassador
    A pitiful servant of God; a pitbull guardian of the message of Grace

My pledge to other members:
    A soft answer turneth away wrath: but grievous words stir up anger. Prov 15:1
    A word fitly spoken is like apples of gold in pictures of silver - Prov. 25:11

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GraceAmbassador View Post
    As long as "temples" and "buildings" are called church; as long as real estate and crowds are a credential for success, I HAVE NO HOPE that any of these 95% will ever change. In fact I thing they will even farther slide back into the mire clay of the oxymoron of Calminianism.

I believed that one day the Church needed a reform; now a reform won't do it; it will be like the new wine and the old wineskin analogy... We have to break it all down and rebuild it again!
    I agree Milt, in fact I believe that "the church" is in totality anti-christ. There is no way to have gospel fellowship with those who adhere to the acceptance/belief in "the church".

However, I do believe that we should always continue to proclaim the gospel to those who are trapped within the confines, the light shines brightest in the darkest places.
    Isaiah 45:7, (KJV), I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things.