Pristine Grace
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst ... 2

Thread: Is it time for Hyper-Calvinists to accept the term "Hyper-Calvinist"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts
    I do like 'hyper-grace' and 'hyper free grace' and used to contrast this as 'high grace doctrine ' with 'low grace doctrine', with the latter referring to the quasi-Amyraldianism of Abraham Kuyper's 'common grace', which teaches that the blessings of the atonement are universal in this life only. Along with this goes the whole false theology of God being accountable to an 'eternal law' and therefore must 'pass over' some in His wrath (contrary to what He really wants) and resulting 'Redeemer's Tears over Lost Souls' (John Howe).

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bob Higby For This Useful Post:

Brandan (02-06-19), Greg (02-07-19), Razor (02-23-19)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts
    I ran across this 'jewel' from Herman Hanko, a scholar and theological historian from the Protestant Reformed Church:

http://www.prca.org/resources/public...the-free-offer

This is the best summary I have read on the history of the false accusation of 'hyper-Calvinism' against those who affirm the true teaching of the gospel against the watered-down nonsense taught by the popular hypo-Calvinism of centuries, which is also the equivalent of the 'neo-Calvinism' that has become so popular in The Gospel Coalition and other such neo-evangelical movements today.

I especially enjoyed the portion regarding the Marrow Controversy, in light of Sinclair Ferguson's recent book "The Whole Christ", in which he examines the Marrow Controversy in detail and pins Luther as an antinomian (Luther, the very teacher who coined the term 'antinomian') and Tobias Crisp as both a hyper-Calvinist and antinomian. Hanko's conclusion on how both sides of the controversy were both right and wrong illuminates that history very well.

Of the organized denominations, I tend to view the Protestant Reformed Church as closest to gospel truth, although their extreme position on matters such as divorce and condemnation of the homolegoumena/antilegomena distinction in affirming the biblical canon make it impossible for me to be a part of it. These are only examples, there are many other things involved.

Bro. Bob
    Last edited by Bob Higby; 02-15-19 at 11:12 AM. Reason: improved grammar
    I got four things to live by: don't say nothin' that will hurt anybody; don't give advice--no one will take it anyway; don't complain; don't explain. Walter Scott

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    61 Posts
    The PRCA still believes in Duty Faith I believe...
    This is my signature.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    61 Posts
    That's my conclusion as well Vadim. As a denomination goes, they're still probably one of the best. I don't think I could regularly attend one of their congregations.

BTW, I'm headed to Ashland KY this weekend for a time of fellowship with the folks at 13th Street. Thanks Bob and Vadim for posting!

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Brandan For This Useful Post:

Bob Higby (02-20-19)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    61 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Simplici View Post
    Brandan, you wrote, "As a denomination goes, they're still probably one of the best." I agree with you. But this fact very clearly shows us the terrible darkness in which the Church denominations are located. The Apostle Paul boldly proclaimed:
    8 But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel to you than that which we have reached to you, let him be accursed. 9 As we said before, so say I now again, if any man patch any other gospel to you than that you have received, let him be accursed. (Ga.1:8.9.)
    The "gospel" the PRCA is a other gospel. Therefore, other" gospel " PRCA is under the accursed of the Apostle Paul. The false "gospel" is only capable of plunging a person's soul into even greater darkness. The false "gospel" will either cast a man into despair or make him a Pharisee. I know that from my own experience. One drop of poison is enough to make the wine deadly.

Brother Vadim.
    Agree with you Vadim. Duty faith is another gospel. It's not the Good news of salvation.
    This is my signature.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Brandan For This Useful Post:

Bob Higby (02-20-19), Greg (02-18-19), Razor (02-23-19)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts
    Hi Vadim and Brandan.

I have no disagreements with your evaluation of the PRC and it's additional errors. I have additional doctrines of the PRC I could cite that also may be added to the list, some are matters of the PRC (teachings) different from Vadim's and my own confession.

I have never participated in an 'organized' church assembly in my life that didn't hold to duty faith and the 3rd use of the law ala Philip Melanchthon and later 'reformers'. This includes any I have pastored myself in the past--too long ago for me to fully understand the controversies back then. Today I simply state my conviction to other believers with the caveat don't explain uppermost in my mind (see my signature); anything more than a basic summary of belief is out of place with most churchians since I can see that they currently don't want more information regarding the controversy.

I only liked the article by Hanko because it traced important history (Common Grace and Free Offer) on why any hyper-grace believer today is tagged a hyper-Calvinist. It is clear that hyper-grace believers are also all tagged as antinomians due to our rejection of the third use of 'external' law including the Ten Commandments. The very use of the term 'moral law' is not found in scripture as something distinct from all other commandments of God.

Bro. Bob
    Last edited by Bob Higby; 02-20-19 at 07:56 PM.
    I got four things to live by: don't say nothin' that will hurt anybody; don't give advice--no one will take it anyway; don't complain; don't explain. Walter Scott

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bob Higby For This Useful Post:

Brandan (02-21-19), Razor (02-23-19)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst ... 2