Pristine Grace

Thread: How's your piety?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    51 Posts

How's your piety?

In another time, my "pastor" Mike asked me a question when he was out at my house.. He asked me, "How is your piety lately?"

I had never been asked that kind of question before! It was an odd question, but I did not want to disappoint, so I stupidly said, "It's been pretty good lately..."

What an idiot I was! The question first of all was asked by someone who believed in progressive sanctification. He was a conditional calvinist. Today, I HATE that question, and I had read somewhere that William Gadsby very much disliked the word "piety", so I went looking for it in his fragments of sermons that have been saved. Today, if he were to ask me the same question, I'd respond: "It's been pretty bad lately, how's yours?"

https://www.pristinegrace.org/media.php?id=1057

How is your Piety?
    by William Gadsby

Some talk of “Piety!” Piety! Piety! Piety! Were it not that it does once occur in the Word of God I should hate the very word; people make so much of it, as though piety were to save them. Their parents were pious, they were brought up pious, and they have continued pious. But even where the word does occur in the New Testament (1 Tim. 5:4), it simply means kindness, as the margin has it—let them show kindness at home. The word has nothing to do with salvation.

True religion humbles a sinner. Angels assemble together in the court of heaven and rejoice over brokenhearted sinners. O then, to rely upon Christ, to plead his love and blood, and to lean upon him and upon him alone and not upon your own repentance; this is the effect of grace. It is said of some kind of stones that they will not break until they have been steeped for a certain length of time in goat's blood; this may be so, but whether or not, it is so with your adamantine hearts; nothing will break them but being steeped in blood, the blood of the Scape-goat of the wilderness.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Brandan For This Useful Post:

alt731 (01-15-19), Bob Higby (01-17-19), Forester07 (01-15-19)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandan View Post
    Some talk of “Piety!” Piety! Piety! Piety! Were it not that it does once occur in the Word of God I should hate the very word; people make so much of it, as though piety were to save them. Their parents were pious, they were brought up pious, and they have continued pious. But even where the word does occur in the New Testament (1 Tim. 5:4), it simply means kindness, as the margin has it—let them show kindness at home. The word has nothing to do with salvation.

True religion humbles a sinner. Angels assemble together in the court of heaven and rejoice over brokenhearted sinners. O then, to rely upon Christ, to plead his love and blood, and to lean upon him and upon him alone and not upon your own repentance; this is the effect of grace. It is said of some kind of stones that they will not break until they have been steeped for a certain length of time in goat's blood; this may be so, but whether or not, it is so with your adamantine hearts; nothing will break them but being steeped in blood, the blood of the Scape-goat of the wilderness.
    Brilliant. Good old Gadsby. I almost always find myself impressed by William Gadsby. Not as much, it has to be said, with his son, John Gadsby. But William really knew how to preach the word.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to alt731 For This Useful Post:

Bob Higby (01-17-19), Brandan (01-17-19)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    AMEN AND AMEN. Thank you for that amazing post. To lean truly on Christ and never on our own righteousness. That image of the court of heaven really makes me smile.

May God be the Judge