Pristine Grace

Thread: Where Can We Fellowship in this Idolatrous Age?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

Post Where Can We Fellowship in this Idolatrous Age?

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Brandan For This Useful Post:

Bob Higby (08-26-19), Forester07 (01-18-19), Krablessed1973 (01-20-19)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Thank you for a very encouraging article. Sometimes it is necessary to drive some miles to go to a good place of worship. It is very important not to compromise on the gospel. It is also very important that wherever we go, Christ is exalted!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Krablessed1973 For This Useful Post:

Brandan (01-20-19)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    68 Posts
    For me the limit is where I am not receiving edification by the preaching and teaching of the true gospel. Those places I have to avoid because they are damaging to a gospel-loving spirit and destructive of confidence in God's sovereign working. Having said that, I will also affirm that we are to embrace all fellow believers professing the true gospel as Jesus Christ Himself (I John and other scriptures); it is hard for me to believe there are none of those believers that can be found (regardless of excess baggage in the doctrine of churches) in places with any significant population--especially in the United States and other countries that have been blessed with gospel light for centuries.
    Last edited by Bob Higby; 01-20-19 at 11:21 PM.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bob Higby For This Useful Post:

Brandan (01-21-19), Forester07 (01-26-19), Krablessed1973 (01-21-19)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    I drive 90 miles one way with my wife twice a week to attend a sovereign grace congregation. On Pristine grace's home page it is listed in the Church directory. It is called Sovereign Grace Baptist Church, The Dalles, Oregon. The
    drive is through what is called the Columbia river gorge which river separates Oregon and Washington. "The gorge" as it is called here is one of the most magnificent rides as far as scenery goes you could take IMO. So I'm just glad truth is only a 180 mile drive through gorgeous scenery! If it were not for this group, I would stay home
    with my wife even though I live near Portland, OR which has scores of "Calvinist" congregations. I thank God there is a place where I can attend!!!
    Bob your location says Hawaiian islands. If you are on Oahu PM me if you want to. There is a group there that is affiliated with the congregation Brandan attends.
    If any of ya' all live anywhere near the Dalles, OR feel free to PM me. We are having a guest speaker June 19-23 2019 DV (God willing): Gary Shepard of Sovereign Grace Baptist Church, Jacksonville, NC. This congregation is also listed on Pristine grace's home page Church directory.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts
    Craig, do you have a link to that group? Or the details of the group in Hawaii? I'd like to include them in the directory if they're truly Gospel oriented.
    This is my signature.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Bro Brandan: the only thing I know about them: shortly before I left 13th Street Baptist Church in 2015 pastor Jim Byrd had come in contact with a group of believers in Hawaii on the island of Oahu. He visited them and gave us a
    good report of his visit with them. They are not "organized": they don't have elders or a pastor. But Jim Byrd continues to go there to meet up with them as God directs. Now I'm here having corporate worship with Norm in The Dalles. When Norm let
    us know his wife and him were going to visit Hawaii I told Norm that Jim preaches to a group there. Norm contacted Jim and Norm preached for them there and came back with a good report. I will ask Norm for their contact number in Hawaii
    and give them a call and see what they are all about. I will see Norm Wednesday DV.
    Disclaimer: I left 13th Street Baptist Church to be close to my family. I moved to 13th Street Baptist Church in 2004 from Oregon solely to be under the gospel. 13th Street is a gospel congregation and I left solely for family reasons not
    biblical differences. Norm here in The Dalles preaches the same gospel as 13th Street- there is only one gospel! Salvation conditioned on Christ alone!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Washington Kid For This Useful Post:

Brandan (02-04-19)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts
    Amen Craig - SCOCA
    This is my signature.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Wow! We are all "label-makers"; we need to start a SGD! (Sovereign Grace Dictionary!)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    68 Posts
    Hello WK!

I have a lot of persons i visit and fellowship with in your area occasionally, so I would love to get together with you sometime. I was just up the Columbia River Gorge twice in early summer (and have done this many times), once to visit relatives near Walla Walla WA and also leaving Vancouver WA on the way to Glacier National Park on the train. But all of the relatives we visit in that area, thouigh friends we would do anything for in terms of helping them in life, are Seventh-day Adventist and devoted to that false system of religion.

Oahu has sovereign grace congregations, there are none on the Island of Hawaii. My son-in-law and I are in process of starting a fellowship of sovereign grace Reformation adherents. Though this island has Congregational 'Calvinism' as its original mission foundation, nothing of the sort exists here today except for snippets of teaching in a few congregations rebelling against increasing skepticism in the United Church of Christ.

Hawaii is obsessed with worship of demonic gods overall, the state website enumerates as FACT the history of Hawaii's islands created by the fire god PELE.

Anyway, great conversation! --Bro. Bob
    Last edited by Bob Higby; 08-29-19 at 06:04 AM. Reason: removing TMI
    I got four things to live by: don't say nothin' that will hurt anybody; don't give advice--no one will take it anyway; don't complain; don't explain. Walter Scott

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Bob: Hi! i would enjoy having you stop by!
    I will private message you my contact info.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Washington Kid For This Useful Post:

Bob Higby (08-29-19)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Higby View Post
    Hawaii is obsessed with worship of demonic gods overall, the state website enumerates as FACT the history of Hawaii's islands created by the fire god PELE.
    Didn't he play soccer in the 70s-80s?
    Isaiah 45:7, (KJV), I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Greg For This Useful Post:

Bob Higby (09-03-19)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Didn't he play soccer in the 70s-80s?
    HAHAHA! Too funny!

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Brandan For This Useful Post:

Bob Higby (09-03-19)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    68 Posts
    That would be the male PELE but maybe he was named after the goddess!

Getting the doctrines of Hawaiian fundamentalism straight:

The fire goddess is female, Madame Pele or Tutu Pele. She is a goddess of fire, lightning, dance, wind, volcanoes and violence. Her poetic name is Ka wahine `ai honua or the woman who devours the land. She is both a creator and destroyer. Her brother is Zeca Nascimento, her father is Joćo Ramos do Nascimento, her sons are Menehune, Edinho and Joshua Nascimento, her daughter is Laka, her lover is Kamapuaʻa, her husband is Wahieloa, welcome to the happy family! This is about 1% of the Hawaiian gods you can name once you start researching all the legends including creation stories (of course, very contradictory)!

I have encountered something else even more absurd though (in my judgment): the junk speculative science portrayed as fact in the recent "Volcanoes: The Fires of Creation" movie currently showing in Omnimax and IMAX theatres.
    Last edited by Bob Higby; 09-03-19 at 12:57 AM.
    I got four things to live by: don't say nothin' that will hurt anybody; don't give advice--no one will take it anyway; don't complain; don't explain. Walter Scott