Thread: Notitia, Assensus, and Fiducia

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    91 Posts

Notitia, Assensus, and Fiducia

Please look at the following article regarding this formula invented by Melanchthon. I do not agree with every point in it, especially the nature of the 'faith' (belief) of those wanting to kill Christ mentioned by John, but I find much of value in the whole evaluation of the history of this controversy:

http://themileses.com/2017/12/21/the...ucia-argument/

To summarize it simply, notitia is faith (only the elect are given 'understanding'), assensus is faith (only true regenerated believers assent to the full scope and implications of gospel doctrine), and fiducia is faith (fiducia is CONFIDENCE!). So I recommend this article.

Phillip Melanchthon, the father of confessional Lutheranism, in the end completely disagreed with Luther and even Augustine on predestination. He admired his former professor Erasmus and couldn't believe Erasmus the humanist was is in heresy!

--Bro. Bob
    Last edited by Bob Higby; 02-05-21 at 09:22 PM. Reason: spelling and punctuation
    I got four things to live by: don't say nothin' that will hurt anybody; don't give advice--no one will take it anyway; don't complain; don't explain. Walter Scott

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bob Higby For This Useful Post:

Brandan (02-09-21), Razor (02-16-21)