Pristine Grace

Thread: A question for the Arminians on this board.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

A question for the Arminians on this board.

Well, two actually.

1. Do arminians (you specificaly or in general) believe that Christ's cross work was propitious? In other words did he bear the wrath of God instead of us? And in still other words was it a substitutionary atonement?

2. How do Arminians deal with 1 Samuel 3:14?
    Jimbo

Rev. 4:11

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Not sure if you would call me totally arminian, nor totally calvinist. It is a long process and a lot of prayer and study for me. I know my beliefs, and I know what the Bible says and what exactly God's Words in His Holy Book tells me. But I don't know if I would be labeled as one or the other (calvinist, arminian) or somewhere in between.

But to answer your questions....

1 - Yes, Christ's work on the cross finished His redemptive work. He died in my place. He bore the burden, and the sin, and the punsihment I could never pay for my soul.

As for the passage in 1 Samuel....
    14 "Therefore I have sworn to the house of Eli that the iniquity of Eli's house shall not be atoned for by sacrifice or offering forever."
    Here the Lord is speaking to young Samuel about what He is going to do concerning Eli's children's sins. And How He will deal with the situation. Specifically, that particular passage you mention refers to the fact that nothing they (Eli's house) can do can save them. They sinned, hen they new full well what they were doing was sin, and now it was time for them to pay for that sin.

That's not saying their souls were not saved, that's not saying that they were doomed to hell, but that punichment was due them as God, in His perfect wisom, saw fit.

How do I deal with the verse? For one thing, that sin carries a price. I am saved, and I am secure in that fact. However, if I sin then there is most likely a time of chastisement from God. He is my Heavenly Father, and just as I will always be my Dad's son, I will always be His child as well. He adopted me into His family. However, if I do a bad thing here at home, my dear ole' dad will punish me. (Especially when I was younger...nowadays he just has a talk with me...since I am 31 and not in the house any longer). It's the same with God. I will still be saved. I will still be a child of His. I will still be covered with the blood of Jesus, but I also might get a bit of a "spanking" from the Heavenly Father. He wants me to learn and grow. He wants me to strive to be as Christ was and to live a Holy and blameless life. So if I need punishment, He will not hesitate.
    2 Timothy 4:2-4
    <(((><
    1 Peter 3:15