Pristine Grace

Thread: Eastern Orthodoxy...a cult or not?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Talking Eastern Orthodoxy...a cult or not?

Many practices of the Eastern Orthodox churches are similar to those of the Roman Catholic churches. Are they two different sides of the same cultic coin? Or is Orthodoxy a sect which fall within the bounds of what is Christian? What do you think?
    http://www.angelfire.lycos.com/sc/cpt101/faith.html

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I'll get back to you as soon as I can. Got to gather my resources and stuff. Not real familiar with Eastern Orthodox Church, so I will have to do a little study.
    2 Timothy 4:2-4
    <(((><
    1 Peter 3:15

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Aletheo is, I believe, Eastern Orthodox and would be an excellent resource to ask your questions about the Orthodox Church. Now that I think about it, I believe Greek Princess is Greek Orthodox and she always seems willing to have a good discussion about our Lord and His Church.

Anyway, I think that this thread might be more appropriate in the Ecclesiology Forum, rather than Cultology.

Steve

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Although I haven't put together any kind of information, done any study or investigation, I will say this ...

Any group, denomination, or religion can become "cult-like". Even good ole southern baptists, lutherans, and presbyterians. A pastor, leader, teacher can become so enamored with his own teachings, so prideful, so arrogant, and so dominating and controlling that a good situation can, theoretically, become a cult-type setting.

It's rare, but possible.
    <(((><

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Well said Fledge. I have seen a church in another town that I used to love visiting become very cult-like. They became so focused on their 'correct' understanding of God's word that they started to believe that no one else could have a right understanding of Scripture apart from them. I think that what often happens is that people become so focused on themselves and their circle of influence that God is all but forgotten. This self absorption seems to be at the heart of many sins. Setting oneself above others and seeking one's own interests before those of God and others is what seems to lead to so many people's downfall. When we forget that we are to deny ourselves and take up our cross as well as seeking the kingdom and righteousness of God first, we not only stop effectively serving the Lord, we become the center of our world (to the detriment of the Body and those around us).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    50 Posts
    Read my story about Our Way Church to see how a good church can become cult-like....

http://www.5solas.org/media.php?id=236
    This is my signature.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Eastern Orthodoxy is the large body of Christians who follow the faith and practices that were defined by the first seven ecumenical councils. The word orthodox (''right believing'') has traditionally been used, in the Greek-speaking Christian world, to designate communities, or individuals, who preserved the true faith (as defined by those councils), as opposed to those who were declared heretical. The official designation of the church in Eastern Orthodox liturgical or canonical texts is ''the Orthodox Catholic Church.'' Because of the historical links of Eastern Orthodoxy with the Eastern Roman Empire and Byzantium (Constantinople), however, in English usage it is referred to as the ''Eastern'' or ''Greek Orthodox'' Church. These terms are sometimes misleading, especially when applied to Russian or Slavic churches and to the Orthodox communities in western Europe and America. It should also be noted that there are Monophysitic churches (holding that after Incarnation Jesus had only a divine, and not a human and divine, nature) that have adopted the term orthodox as part of their names.

---------------------

I didn't find anything "cultish" about the East. Orthodox church in general. Some concepts and ideas I disagree with, but that will happen. Nothing to get too terribly up-in-arms about.

Rather than put all the notes, descriptions, and comparison charts up here, I'll just say that they are OK. I don't know everything about the church. I'm not a scholar on the Eastern Orthodox church, but in my researching, I found nothing to get too upset about.

You could try doing a search on the church. There is a lot of information on the web about them. Maybe try a library too. There are times it seems that I live in a library. Thankfully, it doesn't happen often!
    <(((><

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    This link might be useful:

http://www.orthodoxinfo.com/inquirers/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Wow.. how could I miss this thread! I think you all would know my answer would be no, it isn't a cult.

I am at work at the moment so I cannot stay on here long. I have not been able to get to this site from home due to some PC issues. I'll have these resolved soon and return to my usual verbose self! lol

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    It always seemed ridiculous to me when I would tell my friends I was thinking of becoming Orthodox and they would say "They still believe in Jesus, don't they?" or "They believe the Bible, don't they?" I have never been in a church that believed in Jesus or in the Bible more! And they have from the beginning! The Orthodox should be the ones asking if anyone else still believes in Jesus or in the Scripture! Of course others do, but you get my point.