Pristine Grace

Thread: The consequences of sin on the Christian's life

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The consequences of sin on the Christian's life

We were all sinners once, but Christ has paid the price for our sins. Therefore we shall not be punished for them.
    As far as I know, punishment can be either eternal torment or some sort of earthly affliction. Christians are obviously not going to hell. That God uses his rod to correct His children is maintained by all Christians.
    Thus we conclude that sin does bear primarily unpleasant consequences on the Christian's life, which, however, should not be seen as punishment, but as a means of sanctification.
    The questions are: just how exactly does God fatherly chastises His people? Is there a possibility of this "correction" lasting for the whole life of the person in question, or even consisting of or ending in the person's death, so that other Christians learn from it, or is it always meant to correct and sanctify that person only in this terrestrial life? Plus, if our sins are already forgiven and we shall not be punished for them, what is to keep us from sinning? God's chastening rod, or love for Christ alone?
    It may be pertinent to mention the excommunication in 1st Corinthians, as well as the brethren who died("slept") due to improper behaviour at the Lord's Supper.
    What should we conclude from those incidents? Regarding the first case, I ask if there can be something as "too bad a sin". We have all been taught that all sins are equal, yet apparently Paul excommunicates this brother due to his sin being considered terrible even by the pagans. As for the second case, it's hard to see their deaths as a means of sanctification, since they no longer live so that they can be progressively sanctified. Were they therefore punished? If so, was it meant to teach the other Christians a lesson?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

Re: The consequences of sin on the Christian's life

Thomas thanks for your post. The reason your thread didn't show up is because I hadn't moved you into the unmoderated users group. I do this as people start posting again as it allows me to keep people from posting bad stuff.

Brandan
    This is my signature.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

God chastises His people in more ways than I could list here: sickness, poverty, riches, deaths of loved ones, the church, and many other things can be used by God to chasitise His child.
    Is there a possibility of this "correction" lasting for the whole life of the person in question, or even consisting of or ending in the person's death, so that other Christians learn from it, or is it always meant to correct and sanctify that person only in this terrestrial life?
    The so-called carnal Christian is a myth. If God chastens a person they will repent, thought it may take different lengths of time.
    Plus, if our sins are already forgiven and we shall not be punished for them, what is to keep us from sinning? God's chastening rod, or love for Christ alone?
    Both, but ultimately the latter. True repentance does not merely involve ceasing to do a particular sin but turning from that sin to God.
    It may be pertinent to mention the excommunication in 1st Corinthians, as well as the brethren who died("slept") due to improper behaviour at the Lord's Supper.
    What should we conclude from those incidents?
    Excommunication must always been done primarily for the sake of the person commiting the sin and God does restore those who repent after they have been excommunicated. Those who died from unworthily partaking of the Lord's Supper were not true Christians and the memebers of the Church were told this so that they might examine themselves and not allow others who could not discern the Lord's body to partake since it is said to have affected the whole congregation.

Sola Gratia,
    WildBoar
    For whatever strength of arm he may have who swims in the open sea, yet in time he is carried away and sunk, mastered by the greatness of its waves. Need then there is that we be in the ship, that is, that we be carried in the wood, that we may be able to cross this sea. Now this Wood in which our weakness is carried is the Cross of the Lord, by which we are signed, and delivered from the dangerous tempests of this world.--St. Augustine

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Punishment vs. Chastisement

it must be remembered that parental chastisement (or God's chastisement of his children) is not penal (or should not be viewed as penal in any way). it is not punishment and no true Christian has ever been punished by God. if this were true, then we could not truly say that there was no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus (Ro 8:1). we would also have to confess that purgatory is a necessary reality along with the Roman Catholics. also, Christians will bear the consequences of poor decisions but this is not punishment. the only ones who will be punished is jesus for His peoples' sins and the reprobate for their own sins (Mt 25:46; John 3:36; Ro 2:5ff; Heb 10:29; 2 Pe 2:9; Jude 7). therefore the elect never receive punishment in any sense (Ro 5:9; 1 Thess 1:10, 5:9).
    When I get a little money, I buy books; and if any is left, I buy food and clothes.
    --Erasmus

A room without books is a body without soul.
    --Cicero

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I appreciate the replies. I'm just trying to make sure. Brandan has sent me a bunch of books and I'm trying to figure the Bible out.

On to the matter at hand: I had thought about the people in the cases mentioned being unrepentant. It makes sense now. It's also clear to me that since Christians will not be punished at all, no earthly affliction should be seen as punishment.

In conclusion, it's pretty much cleared up. Thanks.