Pristine Grace

Thread: Does God Observe the Law of Contradiction? . . . Should We?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Does God Observe the Law of Contradiction? . . . Should We?

http://www.thirdmill.org/files/engli...radictions.pdf

please read and comment. below is his conclusion:

In conclusion, I return to the questions that started this paper. Does God observe the law of contradiction? Yes. It is his very nature to do so. Should we? Yes, so long as we do not place our imperfect understandings and applications of the law above the teaching of Scripture as the unquestionable arbiter of truth.
    When I get a little money, I buy books; and if any is left, I buy food and clothes.
    --Erasmus

A room without books is a body without soul.
    --Cicero

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts

Re: Does God Observe the Law of Contradiction? . . . Should We?

Oh my goodness!

How about this conclusion of quantum physics:

The universe is both planned and unplanned, fixed in purpose and yet open, operating according to both absolute law and no law at all, beautiful in its harmony yet awful in its unpredictability, predestined but constantly subject to undetermined change.

I'm sorry, this just doesn't work for me!
    I got four things to live by: don't say nothin' that will hurt anybody; don't give advice--no one will take it anyway; don't complain; don't explain. Walter Scott

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The Biblical examples give instances in which it is said that Jesus came from earth and that Jesus came from heaven. This has absolutely nothing to do with the law of contradiction. In order for something to be a contradiction it has to be "a" and not "a" at the same time. Van Til saying that the Godhead is one person is an actual contradiction of saying that the Godhead is three persons. Van Tilian theology has plagued the reformed churches since they accepted it. One only need to read "The Clark-Van Til controversy to what is at stake here. The real problem is that people construct their own premises and want to add them alongside of the premises which are found in Scripture and because of this they see contradiction and label it as a paradox. The purpose of Scripture is not to act as some strange Buddhist writing that will cause us to empty our minds but to teach us. If we say that there are paradoxes all over Scripture we make the accusation that God did a lousy job teaching us.

Van Tilís other writings and teachings, his enthusiastic acceptance by respected Reformed theologians (Machen, Murray, et al), and his good standing in the Orthodox Presbyterian Church should be evidence enough that he did not affirm a contradictory view of God. His formulation is not the best, but it is not likely a contradiction.
    The fact that Van Til had such wide acceptance does not mean that his writings are Biblical anymore than it means that the Left Behind series are Biblical, it merely shows the sad state of reformed churches. I encourage everyone to read Murray's defense of the well meant offer and then try to tell me there is no contradiction in it.
    For whatever strength of arm he may have who swims in the open sea, yet in time he is carried away and sunk, mastered by the greatness of its waves. Need then there is that we be in the ship, that is, that we be carried in the wood, that we may be able to cross this sea. Now this Wood in which our weakness is carried is the Cross of the Lord, by which we are signed, and delivered from the dangerous tempests of this world.--St. Augustine

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yes, so long as we do not place our imperfect understandings and applications of the law above the teaching of Scripture as the unquestionable arbiter of truth.
    I wish someone would tell me how to accomplish the recommendation above!

Does this not imply the old "emperor's new clothes" syndrome? Or, if I ever question any possiblility of God "observing the law of Contradiction" then I am in fact, with no qualification at all, placing my "imperfect understanding and applications of the law above the teaching of the Scripture as the unquestionable arbiter of the truth?

This does not work for me either! If the Holy Spirit will not "guide us into all truth", certainly passively accepting the Law of Contradition will not either.

Diffuculties in theology are opportunities. More than in the Marketing world. In the Marketing world opportunities when pursued can only divise a new product whose life spam will be as short as is the obsolecense index attached to it and will be replaced by a better one in the future. In theology, however, the pursuit of the answer for these diffuculties are opportunities that can add an eternal benefit of enlightenment, and that will help us to know God in a much deeper way. Passivity in pursuing these opportunities by accepting what one author or another calls "Law of contradiction" is simply to rest in the suspicion that God has not reavealed his Works to us clearly and that the Holy Spirit will not guide us into all thruths. It is a comfort zone that is actually not comfortable at all!

I agree with W.B.: Popularity is not "annointing" or endorsement from God. That is what I believe W.B. meant by this:

Quote Originally Posted by WildBoar
    The fact that Van Til had such wide acceptance does not mean that his writings are Biblical anymore than it means that the Left Behind series are Biblical, it merely shows the sad state of reformed churches.
    Vox Populi, Vox Dei, is one of the most demonic notions of the centuries!

In the end, I maintain that the Bible is a perfect and self sufficient book that answers itself and only to itself, worthy of studying until The Holy Spirit illumines us into the answers, and it is a book that has passed the test of time! Such a book is not for the one that passively sees it too difficult to understand or reconcile. The understanding of it is guaranteed in a Covenant made by the Covenant's guarantor: Jesus Christ.

My opinion only
    Grace Ambassador
    A pitiful servant of God; a pitbull guardian of the message of Grace

My pledge to other members:
    A soft answer turneth away wrath: but grievous words stir up anger. Prov 15:1
    A word fitly spoken is like apples of gold in pictures of silver - Prov. 25:11

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts

Amen to both!

I have noticed that the devoutest followers of Van Til in the 'Reformed' camp are also the quickest to go off into the New Perspective and Reconstructionism. I don't know how many others have observed this same phenomenon.

All apparent 'paradoxes' that people see in the Bible are apparent only, not real. God's plan of redemption and the central message of his revelation to mankind has never varied one whit.
    I got four things to live by: don't say nothin' that will hurt anybody; don't give advice--no one will take it anyway; don't complain; don't explain. Walter Scott

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

I LOST ALL RESPECT for Van Til after I read Hoeksema's book outlining the Clark and Van Til controversy... Mention the word Van Til and all sorts of bad things come to my mind now... "common grace", "paradox theology", "free offer", "witch hunt", etc....
    This is my signature.