Pristine Grace
Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast

Thread: 5solas.org is shutting down....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

5solas.org is shutting down....

Yep, that's right, the main website is disappearing - because these forums are going right to the front.

From now on, when you go to www.5solas.org, you'll be taken immediately to these forums.

What's going to happen to the other stuff? Well I'm starting a new website called: "Pristine Grace" - I've registered pristinegrace.net, .org, and .com. I'm going to turn it into a website centered solely on the Gospel of Free Grace.

Why the change? Well I want 5solas.org to be the "theological learning center" for all the reformed folks out there, and I want pristinegrace.net to be geared more toward the uninitiated. Besides, it's something new, and it will give me something to work on.

I appreciate all your support in this venture! Hopefully we'll see a lot more contributors once these forums go to the front page.

- Brandan
    This is my signature.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Re: 5solas.org is shutting down....

Just in case ya don't know there's already another Pristine Grace website
    http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/L.../pristine.html
    For whatever strength of arm he may have who swims in the open sea, yet in time he is carried away and sunk, mastered by the greatness of its waves. Need then there is that we be in the ship, that is, that we be carried in the wood, that we may be able to cross this sea. Now this Wood in which our weakness is carried is the Cross of the Lord, by which we are signed, and delivered from the dangerous tempests of this world.--St. Augustine

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wildboar
    Just in case ya don't know there's already another Pristine Grace website
    http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/L.../pristine.html
    Yup! except that is on a blank page, at least in my IE6... and it does not work!

The Grace may be Pristine for the above page, but the page itself "ain't"

Milt
    Grace Ambassador
    A pitiful servant of God; a pitbull guardian of the message of Grace

My pledge to other members:
    A soft answer turneth away wrath: but grievous words stir up anger. Prov 15:1
    A word fitly spoken is like apples of gold in pictures of silver - Prov. 25:11

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Try this: http://www.geocities.com/~mikekrall/grace/graceind.htmlThey have some good articles and not so good ones.
    For whatever strength of arm he may have who swims in the open sea, yet in time he is carried away and sunk, mastered by the greatness of its waves. Need then there is that we be in the ship, that is, that we be carried in the wood, that we may be able to cross this sea. Now this Wood in which our weakness is carried is the Cross of the Lord, by which we are signed, and delivered from the dangerous tempests of this world.--St. Augustine

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

I know the owner Mike Krall pretty well. We had a lot of dialogue on his hyper-preterism. I wanted freegrace.net or .org, but they were taken. I like the word Pristine a lot, and so that's what the new site will be called... When I asked the owner (who's not using freegrace.org for a website) if he would sell, he refused. Oh well, I understand

pristine

adj 1: completely free from dirt or contamination; "pristine mountain snow" 2: immaculately clean and unused; "handed her his pristine white handkerchief"
    This is my signature.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Gill
    I know the owner Mike Krall pretty well. We had a lot of dialogue on his hyper-preterism. I wanted freegrace.net or .org, but they were taken. I like the word Pristine a lot, and so that's what the new site will be called... When I asked the owner (who's not using freegrace.org for a website) if he would sell, he refused. Oh well, I understand

pristine

adj 1: completely free from dirt or contamination; "pristine mountain snow" 2: immaculately clean and unused; "handed her his pristine white handkerchief"
    how about going with the latin:

pristinus gratia and perhaps register the site pristinus.com
    When I get a little money, I buy books; and if any is left, I buy food and clothes.
    --Erasmus

A room without books is a body without soul.
    --Cicero

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

Well, for one thing most people go "huh" when I mention the "5 solas". I want people to understand at least a bit what the site is about when I give them the address. - Bradnan
    This is my signature.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, for one thing most people go "huh" when I mention the "5 solas". I want people to understand at least a bit what the site is about when I give them the address. - Bradnan
    or how about gratis grace or gratis gratia?
    When I get a little money, I buy books; and if any is left, I buy food and clothes.
    --Erasmus

--Cicero

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

I like gratisgratia a lot But I'm going with pristine grace.

I'm going to put a ton of articles there about the Gospel and the law of Christ.

Brandan
    This is my signature.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

LOL, ok, the home page is BACK. A lot of people didn't like the change, and I agree, it was kind of confusing....SOOOoooo.... anyhoo, 5solas.org isn't going to change one bit.

I however am going to be working on pristinegrace.org

You can get to it by going to

http://www.pristinegrace.org .com .net
    or
    http://www.hyper-calvinist.org
    or
    http://www.hypercalvinist.org
    or
    http://www.hyper-calvinism.org
    or
    http://www.hypercalvinism.org
    or
    http://www.bornagain.net
    or
    http://www.supralapsarian.org
    or
    http://www.antinomian.org

The reason I have registered the hyper-calvinist/hyper-calvinism domains is because I intend on using them as information about so-called hyper-calvinism. I will use them to point to a set of specific articles that will take Phil Johnson's article on hyper-calvinism and DISSECT it and show how awful his stance is....

Further, I intend on giving individuals who agree with me on the Gospel Doctrine an opportunity to have an e-mail address with hyper-calvinist.org. I'm hoping that by adopting the name, it will no longer seem as "stinging" an insult by those who reject God's absolute sovereignty.
    This is my signature.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

What will be the main focus of the site? Who's your target audience?

I only ask because "pristine grace" seems to be lacking sort of 'je ne sais qua'.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

PristineGrace.org
    Focus: the Gospel and short articles about it. Dealing with the simple themes of the Gospel.
    Target Audience: All people. I want it to be something that almost anyone can sit down and read without much too much education.

5solas.org
    Focus: The Gospel. But a feel that appeals more to those into studying theology. Consider it the "advanced" version of pristinegrace.org. Longer articles and BOOKS are here.
    Target: All people, but with a bent toward the more "learned" individuals. I want it to be very similar to trinityfoundation.org in terms of article quality.
    This is my signature.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

This is my signature.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I like the water drops of water. A very intelligent use of iconography there.

Kudos, Brother.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The reason I have registered the hyper-calvinist/hyper-calvinism domains is because I intend on using them as information about so-called hyper-calvinism. I will use them to point to a set of specific articles that will take Phil Johnson's article on hyper-calvinism and DISSECT it and show how awful his stance is....

Further, I intend on giving individuals who agree with me on the Gospel Doctrine an opportunity to have an e-mail address with hyper-calvinist.org. I'm hoping that by adopting the name, it will no longer seem as "stinging" an insult by those who reject God's absolute sovereignty.
    so are you saying that you would identify yourself as a hyper-calvinist?
    --Erasmus

--Cicero

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by disciple
    so are you saying that you would identify yourself as a hyper-calvinist?
    I don't think there is such a thing as a hyper-calvinist. There are some that don't believe in preaching the Gospel.. There are also others that don't believe the elect necessarily come to faith in this life. These you could consider to be "hyper-calvinists", but I simply believe that they are disobedient to God's Word.

Phil Johnson says I'm a hyper-calvinist. So do most calvinists today. Yet I'm not against preaching the Gospel to all indiscriminately. What they don't like is my belief that God hates the reprobate and has no love for him at all. They also don't like that I think that God does not "desire" the salvation of all men (elect and reprobate). Yes, that's what Phil Johnson thinks! I'm a harsh hyper-calvinist, and depending on who you talk to, this would also make me a "heretic." LOL So yes, in that sense, I believe you can call me a "hyper-calvinist" although the name means nothing to me. What bothers me is its a word flung around so liberally as an insult.
    This is my signature.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't think there is such a thing as a hyper-calvinist....although the name means nothing to me. What bothers me is its a word flung around so liberally as an insult.
    but the word does have historical content and meaning to it, does it not? there is an actual historical context from which this derogatory term derives. even if the word means nothing to you, it does mean something to others. and if it were me, i would just be careful to distance myself from any identification with what has been historically seen as schismatic and heretical (or at least clarify and qualify profusely so that i'm not misunderstood). many such terms carry much baggage with them that it is hard to get rid of no matter how hard one tries and how adamantly one denies the existence or validity of such term. that's my two cents anyway...
    --Erasmus

--Cicero

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I share Doug's concern but at the same I like the idea of a site that would specifically set out to define what the term means (or rather how pointless the term actually is) and to debunk the many erroneous definitions that are given. The main problem with this term is that it can mean so many different things to different people. I think many use the term without really understanding the issues at stake or the history behind the debates that first sparked the use of the term and even more simply accept the meaning and implication given to them by others. I think it would be good to get a good discussion of this out in the open but at the same time I would agree with the need to be distanced from it for fear of misunderstanding.

my 2 cents.

Martin

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

Well here's the thing. Not once in history is there a person that has adopted the descriptor "hyper-calvinist" for his person that I know of. It has always been a derogatory name given by someone else to that individual. I'm the first person I've met that has adopted the label, not because I truly recognize what I am, but because I'm answering the fool according to his folly.

"Yes, I'm a harsh mean cold hyper-calvinist!!! " I mean who in their right mind would say such a thing. NOBODY! And if people can't see the facetiousness in this comment, well I feel sorry for them.

Historically, the hyper-calvinism controversy arose out of disputes between spurgeon's and andrew fuller's followers and the followers of John Gill. Both sides of the debate were in error in one way or another, although I definitely fall on Gill's side. The division resulted in bitter name calling by followers of Spurgeon, and the name-calling hasn't relented since! In recent years, in response to the name calling the "hypers" have coined the term "hypo-calvinism".

So here I am - a hyper-calvinist to some and a Christian to others. Do I care what you call me? Not at all - hyper-calvinist, antinomian, heretic, these names mean nothing to me. The only thing I care talking about really is Christ and Him crucified.
    This is my signature.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Skeuos Eleos
    The main problem with this term is that it can mean so many different things to different people.
    and
    Well here's the thing. Not once in history is there a person that has adopted the descriptor "hyper-calvinist" for his person that I know of. It has always been a derogatory name given by someone else to that individual. I'm the first person I've met that has adopted the label, not because I truly recognize what I am, but because I'm answering the fool according to his folly.

"Yes, I'm a harsh mean cold hyper-calvinist!!! " I mean who in their right mind would say such a thing. NOBODY! And if people can't see the facetiousness in this comment, well I feel sorry for them.

Historically, the hyper-calvinism controversy arose out of disputes between spurgeon's and andrew fuller's followers and the followers of John Gill. Both sides of the debate were in error in one way or another, although I definitely fall on Gill's side. The division resulted in bitter name calling by followers of Spurgeon, and the name-calling hasn't relented since! In recent years, in response to the name calling the "hypers" have coined the term "hypo-calvinism".

So here I am - a hyper-calvinist to some and a Christian to others. Do I care what you call me? Not at all - hyper-calvinist, antinomian, heretic, these names mean nothing to me. The only thing I care talking about really is Christ and Him crucified.
    Unfortunately, the revival of this name calling is due to what is happening today in the internet and, specifically, at PalTalk. Actually, I have found that in my case, when someone labels me a "hyper-calvinist" nowadays, they mean: "You inhumane, cold blooded, hard headed, hard heart, hard shell, ornary, stubborn, high nose, arrogant, unloving, un-christian, un-american Short of Breath (or what the initials for Short of Breath may mean)".

It is not a thelological indictment or any reasonable placing of one's into a specific theological category. Also, it is (at least in my case) so far from the truth that it becomes hillarious and worthy only of a "self assumption" of the label just to make it even more ridiculous.

Usually it is because (again in my case) I prefer to use "tender mercies" instead of the term "common grace" for whatever type of love God demonstrates to the wicked (or unelect), and because of the other factors Brandan mentions above. These factors are indeed reasonable theological points upon which one may land their conclusions and inferences on the rights and prerrogatives of the unelect as opposed to the sacrificial love God demonstrates towards the elect and in most cases is a purely semantic difference. As such, the labeling is unjustifiable and it is worse than anything "hyper-calvinism" believes because it is "name calling" and "bearing false witness".

There is no doubt in my mind that the discussions about the factors mentioned above by Brandan are open and ongoing. However, if when one debating party hears the other say: "I don't believe in common grace", he immediately thinks of the other party as the things I mention above, then they have a problem! A probelm that can be described by an ancient Brazilian saying, that I repeat here for your reflection:

A dog that was once bitten by a snake will run away scared to death of a sausage link.

Phobias can happen for many reasons. Perhaps the labelers have been bitten by the snake of "calvinism" before and are now, at the very least appearance of something as harmless as a sausage link, that, is long, round, but it does not move or bite, running scared in a panic driven phobia...

For those who label me a "hyper-calvinist" as to the definition I gave above, I have another label:
    calvinisticphobic

Milt
    Grace Ambassador
    A pitiful servant of God; a pitbull guardian of the message of Grace

My pledge to other members:
    A soft answer turneth away wrath: but grievous words stir up anger. Prov 15:1
    A word fitly spoken is like apples of gold in pictures of silver - Prov. 25:11

Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast