Pristine Grace
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst ... 2

Thread: 5solas.org is shutting down....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Re: 5solas.org is shutting down....

I like the water droplets too, there's some sprinkling going on and no immersion.
    For whatever strength of arm he may have who swims in the open sea, yet in time he is carried away and sunk, mastered by the greatness of its waves. Need then there is that we be in the ship, that is, that we be carried in the wood, that we may be able to cross this sea. Now this Wood in which our weakness is carried is the Cross of the Lord, by which we are signed, and delivered from the dangerous tempests of this world.--St. Augustine

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    54 Posts

Charles... funny!
    This is my signature.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

Hardshell ?

Calvinisticphobic! How many hundreds have I known?

Another interesting question, who claims the name ANTI-NOMIAN ! I know of one brother, a studied Ph.D., who claims the title in the same manner that Brandan is claiming the hyper-Calvinist label. The extreme wing of the Sabbatarians has been calling anyone who takes a divergent position anti-nomian for hundreds of years. Yet who claims the title? Better yet, what professing Christian group actually teaches that the practice of sin in a spirit of lawlessness makes no difference whatsoever (which is what a true antinomian would believe)?

There really are Calvinists who claim the term 'hardshell' and believe:
    1. No free proclamation of the gospel is needed.
    2. Non-elect man is entirely unaccountable to the gospel.
    3. Regeneration is privatistic and performed by the Holy Spirit secretly--entirely divorced from hearing or perceiving the message of the gospel.
    4. There is no inward witness of the Spirit giving assurance through faith in the gospel. The fact that one believes (in the 'amen' sense) the message of the gospel in no way demonstrates election or non-election.

I do think we need to distance ourselves from these 4 'hyper' views, in the same way that we would distance ourselves from the 'hypo' views of Amyraut and similar teachings (now termed hypo-Calvinism).
    I got four things to live by: don't say nothin' that will hurt anybody; don't give advice--no one will take it anyway; don't complain; don't explain. Walter Scott

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    54 Posts

Re: Hardshell ?

Quote Originally Posted by BillTwisse
    There really are Calvinists who claim the term 'hardshell' and believe:
    1. No free proclamation of the gospel is needed.
    2. Non-elect man is entirely unaccountable to the gospel.
    3. Regeneration is privatistic and performed by the Holy Spirit secretly--entirely divorced from hearing or perceiving the message of the gospel.
    4. There is no inward witness of the Spirit giving assurance through faith in the gospel. The fact that one believes (in the 'amen' sense) the message of the gospel in no way demonstrates election or non-election.

I do think we need to distance ourselves from these 4 'hyper' views, in the same way that we would distance ourselves from the 'hypo' views of Amyraut and similar teachings (now termed hypo-Calvinism).
    This is not hyper-calvinism. This is just insane disobedience to God's word! I can't imagine anyone holding to these beliefs, and I would have to say if someone did, they DO NOT know the GOspel of our Lord.

By the way Bob, I've also taken on the antinomian name because of my anti-sabbatarian stance and the fact that I'm often called an antinomian by people on paltalk. I've also discovered that if you're a supralapsarian, you will be called an antinomian because of the fact that God decrees sin. I got so tired of being called an antinomian that I registered antinomian.org .

Brandan
    This is my signature.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So many labels - how silly it all gets!

There is so much scope for ridiculing the whole idea of labelling. Here are some random thoughts and suggestions for Hyper-Calvinst.org:
    Here at Hyper-Calvinist.Org we are glad to be called Hyper-Calvinist. After all, as someone once said: you not a proper Calvinist until someone calls you a hyper-calvinist!

We're hyper-Spurgeonist, hyper-Johnsonist, hyper-Fullerite, Hyper-Van-Tillian, Hyper-Murrayite (X2), Hyper-Banner-of-Truth, Hyper-Amyraldian, Hyper-Augustinian, Hyper-Lutheran, Hyper-Baxterite, Hyper-Marrow-Men, Hyper-Bonarite, Hyper-McCheynite, Hyper-MacArthurite, Hyper-Piperite but NOT HYPER-PAULINE! We're not hyper-everything: we're Hypo-Sandemanian, Hypo-Carpenterite, Hypo-Gnostic, etc but definitely NOT Hypo- the gospel of God's sovereign free grace in Christ Jesus! Well, that should make it abundantly clear what we believe!

I'm not sure how we would rate ourselves against heretics like Barth. Maybe we need an official Hyper/Hypo calculator? You could feed in all the things they said that we think went too far and it would compare it to the number of quotes that we think didn't go far enough and, if it is higher then it would give us a "Hypo" score in comparison to them and, if it came out lower, it would give us a "Hyper" score. That would be a neat little tool! Everyone who comes onto the site could test themselves against their own chosen standard of Hyper-Calvinism! You could even have a "Hyper-Calvinist" league table where people post their scores and the computer interprets their results like:

====
    80-100% - Congratulations! You are bona-fide Hyper-Calvinist. You rank amongst the historical all-time greats. Your favorite pastime is sitting in a bar downing a few bars whilst reflecting that God would have saved some of His Elect whilst you were sat there.
    60-80% - You are well on your way to becoming a Hyper-Calvinist. You need to work on resisting those thoughts you have when you see a cute little kid and you think 'surely God loves that little kid!". Try to avoid telling so many people the gospel - after all you wouldn't want to give a reprobate a false sense of security.

0-20% - O dear! My, you have a long way to go! We suggest you start by actually reading your bible!

etc
    ====

You could have a Hyper-Calvinist Hall of Fame where those accused of being Hyper-Calvinist are ranked - Gill, Toplady and even Mr Calvin himself would come out pretty near the top whilst Fuller, Murray and Co would be way down the bottom.

At least 30 different definitions of the phrase "Hyper-Calvinist" may be found by searching the Internet - so will the real John Calvin please stand up?

Ok, we admit it, we're Hyper-Calvinist - there, does that make you feel better now?

Everyone seems to be using labels these days - is this "Lable Bable"?

Not sure if you use the same phrase in the US but in the UK if someone is weak and useless we might say they're 'wet' so, if someone claims to be a Calvinist but shies away from entering into any debate with an Arminian does that make them a Hydro-Calvinist?

If someone gives several different definitions of what they believe does that make them a Hydra-Calvinist?

Is someone who is quick to label someone a Hyper-Calvinist a Hyper-labelist?

Martin
    (Hope my mischievous sense of humor isn't too wacky for you serious Americans!)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    54 Posts

Very funny Martin! I like it!
    This is my signature.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst ... 2